Data Cleanup

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data Cleanup

• Where I work, we have a polling process that runs daily and sends email notifications about databases that havn't been used for X days. The same goes for SQL and AD  login accounts, and also unused indexes. Getting rid of that stuff feels like cleaning out the garage.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I used to have an AV system that needed periodic cleaning.

Account cleanup is a good idea. Most places we've had good separation processes for this, but certainly some accounts don't get removed from systems. One reason I like password expiration 😉

• I think regular archiving plans are likely one of the most overlooked features in systems design.  The most inefficient method I ever experienced was when we had no option but magnetic tape, often had to retrieve multiple reels, mount them, and do sequential searches.   Archive creation involved device to device merges adding new data from production discs.  What a PITA that was.

At home I use a combo of active disk, a NAS storage device, a number of USB drives, and a case full of DVD-RW for what is now a collection of 36 years of data.  Anything prior to 1986 is gone, and that could be a good thing.

Some additional thoughts on this:  I'm digitizing thousands of B/W family photos up to 100 years old, and thousands of 35mm slides, and have done some reading on the life span of various media for data storage.  There's nothing really definitive, but it sounds as if the current magnetic storage media should be refreshed every few years just to be safe, and of course we need to consider the continued availability of the devices themselves.   I did find that the failure rate on several hundred old floppy disks was about 40%.  Fortunately there was not much I really wanted on them, but did want to review before trashing them.  And yes, at this point you CAN actually find 3.5" floppy drives in USB.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  skeleton567.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• The other day, I loaded up Leisure Suit Larry from a 3.5" floppy I purchased in 1990. Still good.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• lol, I have neither a 3.5, nor a Zip drive anymore. Tossed most of the media years ago. I think we're down to one DVD drive in the house and I haven't had one in a computer in a few years. I should be sure one is around as we do have some older CD-RoMs of pictures.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

lol, I have neither a 3.5, nor a Zip drive anymore. Tossed most of the media years ago. I think we're down to one DVD drive in the house and I haven't had one in a computer in a few years. I should be sure one is around as we do have some older CD-RoMs of pictures.

I haven't had an internal CD/DVD drive in my last four laptops.  They just took up space and kept me from having a second internal hard drive.  And if one dies, you don't have to worry about finding a replacement to match.

It's probably a waste of space, but as long as I have room I keep a root directory called D:\Installs\ where all my important software installs are including patch and update versions.  That way I had them even when staying in the Rockies all summer.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply