Data Cleansing

• Hi, I'm new here . I just stumbled on this forum. I would like the opportunity to pick your brains. Sounds like there are some geniuses here. I was just handed a data warehousing project using sql server 2000 even though I am a coder on a completely different platform and area. I am stronger at accounting than CRM. It is not to my liking but am up for the challenge. But to make the story short anyone here a have sample stored procedures on deduping and cleansing guest information from multiple systems. What a painful thing this is especially when not all systems are odbc compliant. I will appreciate any input Thank you... !

• This is really hard to answer unless you can give us some idea of what type of cleansing you need to do.

I normally import things into SQL and then spend T-SQL coding doing things to clean them up. I have a number of articles on Taming Strings (look at my article list) that deal with cleansing of data.

If it is really strange cleansing, I might some sort of parser in VB or VBScript to clean things, but it really depends on what I am trying to do.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Thanks Steve! Taming strings p3 is the type of thing I need to be doing. The data I am encountering is extremely dirty. I have the same customer in every system as well. They have used different names too... I'm going to read the rest of your articles to get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks again!

• Glad I could help. Be interested to hear how it goes. You can post or email me (sjones@sqlservercentral.com)

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply