.DAT and .NDX files

• Hi all,

I have a database file with .DAT extension and also two files beside it with .NDX and .GLM extension but I don't know what kind of database is. The only thing that I know is : the programmer used C programming language and the program run in MS-DOS operating system. and now I want to know how can I export its data to SQL Server.

and also I test the Btrieve tools but it seems that I should have .DDF file to access the databae through Btrieve.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sani

• I think dBase liked to use .DAT and .NDX for data and index files.  The .GLM doesn't ring a bell though.

• maybe it is a "Clipper" database ? Clipper was compatible to dbase, but I don't remember the .glm extension either

Regards,

Daniel

• Thanks a lot for all reply.

I don't think that these files are clipper or dbase. I downloaded DBF Viewer 2000 software which can support clipper and dbase files but the software couldn't open my files. and also I have read somewhere that If It is dbase I can rename the file to .dbf and open it in MsAccess. I do so but no use.

Do you have any other suggestion? (I can send you the sample files for more information).

Sani

• .GLM most probably belongs to GLIM (Generalised Linear Interactive Modelling), a statistical program originally developed under UNIX.

The programmer must have used the common extensions .dat and .ndx for data and index files though they may be of different format than those used in dBase.

The best thing is for you to contact the programmer who originally developed the system - I simply don't understand why you have to convert these files which are obviously quite old data to SQL Server...

Yukio

• Hi Yukio,

It's impossible for me to contact the programmer. and now the customer who bought the software many years ago wants to use windows-based application  or web-based application instead of msdos-based version (the current one) that's why I want to import its data to SQL Server. 

Sani

• DAT was never used for Clipper or dBase.  DBF was the data file extension.

If it is Btrieve, then you will need the file you mentioned or you will never be able to see it.

One other possibility is SQLBase from Gupta (I think they are Centric or something like that now).  It was the first SQL database that would run under DOS.

Is there a utility within the program to export the data?

Something you may have to accept is that you may not be able to import the data.

• There is no option in the application for export data.

can you tell me more about SQLBase? how can i find the related software? Is it free to download?

• Hi,

Did you try to open those files with Notepad? There should be some meaningful ASCI text. You say those files are from the old app. It could be that it is just a custom database store that was created by the application. I worked with similar applications before. Or the text could  mention the database engine in the beginning

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Hi,

If you want to look for information about any file extension, please visit

http://filext.com/

I saw your answer there.

If you have any concern, please email me at lamd@vmcmail.com

VMC-WD-MIS-LAMD

• To those of you who want to know what a file extension was used for try the following site   http://www.totallydrivers.com/resources/file_extensions.asp?id=N

there it states that NDX was used as Index file (dBase II-III-IV) as for GLM the site only lists 8 starting with a 'G' and 'GLM' is not listed.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I had searched for the file extension before I put the message here. Now I want to know how can I export data from these files?

I tried to open these files in notpad but I saw just strange character and there was no header in the file and also I opened the file in a hex editor (DN) but again no use.

Sani

• Sani,

i just opend the page

http://www.needanewpc.com/file_extentions.htm

and it says:

.glmDatafile (Glim)

Does it tell you anything? If not, are you sure it is a data file and not something like a Global Module?

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Yelena,

Yes. I think that .GLM is my data file but there no header in this file.

Sani

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply