Custom Pagination in SQL Server 2005

• peter (1/6/2009)

First impression....a lot of code (and a lot of work).

I do not have the time to read it the lengthy article in full but as the OP rightly articulated, the problem is well known and has a myriad of (often half) solutions. This means I made one for myself not too long ago that supports some extra twists and does not look as complicated while performing well for the datasets it was meant to.

I will make a proper contributing post and share the code tomorrow, right now I have a deadline to meet, so stay tuned!

I know this article is quite a mammoth :). I tried to trim the article as much as possible, but there is just too much information to cover. Thank you for taking the time to look over the article.

I look forward to reading your post.

Thanks,

Adam

• "Row_Number makes pagination a breeze..."

Um.

With all due respect to the author (and I truly mean that. It's a great article.) but was this statement a joke? I wouldn't exactly call this a "breeze", but maybe that's because I'm not near the expert that this guy is.

• I have a question about the dynamic SQL block of code you have included in your article.

So the way you have constructed your dynamic SQL, you took @FirstName and @LastName and converted them to their actual values and included them in your @SQL variable.

Shouldn't you rather have used @FirstName and @LAstNAme as parameters in @SQL so that the query execution plan will be reused for all combinations of @FirstName and @LAstNAme ? Otherwise, each time that a new value is passed for @FirstName and @LastNAme, a new execution plan will be generated.

What I mean is this..

Instead of :

[font="Courier New"]Set @SQL = 'select....where FirstNAme=' + Quotename(@firstname,'''') + ' and LastName=' + QuoteName(@lastname,'''')[/font]

Use:

[font="Courier New"]Set @SQL = 'Select ... Where FirstName=@FirstName And LastName=@LastName'

and pass the parameters for @FirstName and @LastName[/font]

• CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[Sp_Customer_Paging]

@PageSize INT=50,

@PageNumber INT=1

AS

Declare

@SQL varchar(4000),

@FirstRow INT,

@LastRow INT,

@TmpSQLDetail1 varchar(4000),

@TmpSQLDetail2 varchar(4000)

SELECT@FirstRow = ( @PageNumber - 1) * @PageSize + 1,@LastRow = (@PageNumber - 1) * @PageSize + @PageSize ;

Set @SQL =' WITH Members AS

( SELECT Cust_No,CardNo,CustType,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY vw_customers.Cust_No) AS RowNumber

FROM vw_customers WHERE 1=1 '

set @SQL = @SQL + ' ),

ListRecordCount AS ( SELECT Cust_No,CardNo,CustType,(SELECT MAX(RowNumber) AS RecordCount FROM Members)as RCount FROM Members)'

set @SQL = @SQL + ' SELECT*'

+' FROMListRecordCount'

+' WHERERowNumber BETWEEN '+ CAST(@FirstRow AS VARCHAR(10)) +' AND '+cast(@LastRow as VARCHAR(10))+' '

+' ORDER BY RowNumber ASC';

EXEC(@SQL)

--sample calling store procedure exec Sp_Customer_Paging 100,1

--result will first 100 rows with RCount you can arrange number of page with rcount/100

--rcount=500 means you have 5 page when you call Sp_Customer_Paging 100,3 it will returns between 200 and 300 records etc..

• I prefer keeping the notion of paging in the client space, in my opinion it is a cleaner API to use something like System.IO.StreamReader and provide input params defining the start row and number of rows. Treat the db basically like a stream or buffer. You won't find an API in the platform that has inputs numItemsPerPage, numPages.

• rakhi.bhatia (1/6/2009)

I have a question about the dynamic SQL block of code you have included in your article.

So the way you have constructed your dynamic SQL, you took @FirstName and @LastName and converted them to their actual values and included them in your @SQL variable.

Shouldn't you rather have used @FirstName and @LAstNAme as parameters in @SQL so that the query execution plan will be reused for all combinations of @FirstName and @LAstNAme ? Otherwise, each time that a new value is passed for @FirstName and @LastNAme, a new execution plan will be generated.

What I mean is this..

Instead of :

[font="Courier New"]Set @SQL = 'select....where FirstNAme=' + Quotename(@firstname,'''') + ' and LastName=' + QuoteName(@lastname,'''')[/font]

Use:

[font="Courier New"]Set @SQL = 'Select ... Where FirstName=@FirstName And LastName=@LastName'

and pass the parameters for @FirstName and @LastName[/font]

The short answer is Yes. But the long answer is you end up making the code very complex. I originally created a version of the code that did just this; however, the problem is you have to use control flow logic for sp_executesql command. You have to do this because you need to create a parameter to be used in scope with the dynamic sql. You cannot declare a sp_execute parameter unless it is used in the command text. The article was quite long already and I did not want to introduce an intimidating example; however, because you asked I will display the code here.

I would also like to point out that i didnt see any huge performance gains from my tests, but that doesnt mean there are none. The benifit here is query plan reuse.

Below is a sample of what the code will look like:

ALTER PROCEDURE usp_ContactPaging

(

@SortCol VARCHAR(25)='ContactId ASC',

@FirstName VARCHAR(25)=NULL,

@LastName VARCHAR(25)=NULL,

@pgSize INT=25, @pgNbr INT=1

)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(max),

@predicate nvarchar(500),

@params nvarchar(500),

@NbrPages INT

IF @FirstName IS NULL AND @LastName IS NULL

BEGIN

SET @predicate = N''

SET @params = N'@size int, @nbr int, @Pages INT, @dSort VARCHAR(25)'

SELECT @NbrPages =

CEILING(count(*)/(@pgSize*1.0))

FROM Contacts

END

IF @FirstName IS NOT NULL AND @LastName IS NULL

BEGIN

SET @predicate = N'WHERE FirstName LIKE @FN + ' + N'''%'''

SET @params = N'@FN VARCHAR(25),@size int, @nbr int, @Pages INT'

SELECT @NbrPages =

FROM Contacts

WHERE [FirstName] LIKE @FirstName + '%'

END

IF @FirstName IS NULL AND @LastName IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

SET @predicate = N'WHERE LastName LIKE @LN + ' + N'''%'''

SET @params = N'@LN VARCHAR(25),@size int, @nbr int, @Pages INT'

SELECT @NbrPages =

FROM Contacts

WHERE [LastName] LIKE @LastName + '%'

END

IF @FirstName IS NOT NULL AND @LastName IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

SET @predicate = N'WHERE FirstName LIKE @FN + ' + N'''%''' + N' AND ' +

N'LastName LIKE @LN + ' + N'''%'''

SET @params = N'@FN VARCHAR(25),@LN VARCHAR(25),@size int, @nbr int, @Pages INT'

SELECT @NbrPages =

FROM Contacts

WHERE [FirstName] LIKE @FirstName + '%' AND

[LastName] LIKE @LastName + '%'

END

SET @SQL = N'

;WITH PagingCTE (Row_ID,ContactId,FirstName,LastName)

AS

(

SELECT

ROW_NUMBER()

OVER(ORDER BY

CASE WHEN @sort='FirstName DESC' THEN FirstName END DESC,

CASE WHEN @sort='FirstName ASC' THEN FirstName END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort='LastName ASC' THEN LastName END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort='LastName DESC' THEN LastName END DESC,

CASE WHEN @sort='ContactID ASC' THEN ContactId END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort='ContactID DESC' THEN ContactId END DESC

) AS [Row_ID],

ContactId,

FirstName,

LastName

FROM Contacts' + CHAR(13) +

@predicate + '

)

SELECT

Row_ID,

ContactId,

FirstName,

LastName,

@Pages AS NbrPages

FROM PagingCTE

WHERE Row_ID >= (@size * @nbr) - (@size -1) AND

Row_ID <= @size * @nbr

'

--PRINT @sql

IF @FirstName IS NULL AND @LastName IS NULL

BEGIN

EXEC sp_executesql

@sql,

@params,

@size = @pgSize,

@nbr = @pgNbr,

@Pages = @NbrPages,

@sort = @SortCol

END

IF @FirstName IS NOT NULL AND @LastName IS NULL

BEGIN

EXEC sp_executesql

@sql,

@params,

@FN = @FirstName,

@size = @pgSize,

@nbr = @pgNbr,

@Pages = @NbrPages,

@sort = @SortCol

END

IF @FirstName IS NULL AND @LastName IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

EXEC sp_executesql

@sql,

@params,

@LN = @LastName,

@size = @pgSize,

@nbr = @pgNbr,

@Pages = @NbrPages

END

IF @FirstName IS NOT NULL AND @LastName IS NOT NULL

BEGIN

EXEC sp_executesql

@sql,

@params,

@FN = @FirstName,

@LN = @LastName,

@size = @pgSize,

@nbr = @pgNbr,

@Pages = @NbrPages

END

END

GO

• Thanks Steve.

• Adam, why you dont'use the order by in the final select? (.... order by Row_ID).

Otherwise there is no guarantee that the records are always sorted correctly, what do you think?

• alessad (1/6/2009)

Adam, why you dont'use the order by in the final select? (.... order by Row_ID).

Otherwise there is no guarantee that the records are always sorted correctly, what do you think?

I think I was waiting for this to arise :). Yes I agree an order by clause is necessary to gaurentee ordering. I missed this in my code post and didnt realize it until after i submitted. The good news is using Row_Number in a CTE does a sort on the data before it is returned. The sort will controlled by the order detailed in the order by clause of the row_number function. While the ordering will be correct because of the way a cte works, I would still recommend that the order by clause be used. You can add an order by and sort by the seq column to gaurentee correctness.

• This is another example of great free content delivered on SQLServerCentral. Thank you Mr.Hines.

My current position is at a large manufacturing firm with a web front end. Currently our data tier has some pretty high contention, so I try to push off some work to the app tier. This approach has worked very well for me. I would love to have you guys shoot some holes in it(I will fire back).

1. If I can support all permutations of a given search, i.e. less than 24 procs(4 search inputs), tune/create an individual proc for each search.

2. The "search" proc returns back only a surrogate key in sorted order, and that is persisted by the app/tier.

3. The app tier then calls individual procs that are tuned for a known set of page sizes. (i.e. usp_GetData25, usp_GetData50,usp_GetData100), the input is only the surrogate key.

Pros:

*Efficient in the data tier. I can get an excellent plan for every search.

*Very minimal data to persist for the session as I am only sending back surrogate keys

*App only fetches data that is used, so the physical paging is very efficient

Cons:

*To many procs

*Limited use, as many screens have more than 4 searchable fields. In that case I go to what the OP has presented. I still have the web/app tier try to some add some value to the equation buy moving the code forks into there code(i.e I never like one big proc)

Excited to get any feed back!

• 2 points to add:

1) If you are going with dynamic sql, the go completely with it. Constructs such as this:

CASE WHEN @sort=''FirstName DESC'' THEN FirstName END DESC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''FirstName ASC'' THEN FirstName END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''LastName ASC'' THEN LastName END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''LastName DESC'' THEN LastName END DESC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''ContactID ASC'' THEN ContactId END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''ContactID DESC'' THEN ContactId END DESC

can be boiled down to the explicit single statement based on the ACTUAL input value of @sort.

2) more importantly, consider situations where putting all of the output data into the CTE can actually hinder performance. I have seen it work much more efficiently (especially with larger numbers of columns/data types) to simply output the necessary key values for each table involved and then select out the fields from those tables hitting the tables a second time on what will be very efficient index seeks/bookmark lookups.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Your point #2 is always where I get my best performance. Even if I persist the output to a physical file on the web server. I have not found a way to beat this in Enterprise level searches. Would love to find a way to not persist physically.

• e.linthorst (1/6/2009)

Created this one a while back and still use it. You might want to give it a try.

It aint as fancy as yours, but it will save you a lot of maintenance.

Since the user most of the time dictates the sortorder

and the where clause I prefer passing these in from the outside.

You can simply leave them blank where you don't need them.

CREATE procedure [dbo].[proc_GetSortedPage]

(

@TableName VARCHAR(500),

@SortClause VARCHAR(4000),

@WhereClause VARCHAR(4000),

@Pagesize int,

@Pageindex int

)

as

-- @TableName: name of table or view

-- @SortClause: the sort clause without the ORDER BY statement, but including ASC or DESC

. . .

I see where you are going (or have gone ..?!) with this. It is easy(ier) than Adam's solution in some regards.

I certainly will implement this sproc in my list of search queries, thank you.

The challenge this presents in the realm of .NET developers (I among them) having a preference for strongly-typed datasets is that that this sproc does not return a strongly-typed dataset.

The overarching problem with pagination is an element I will visit ion a separate reply.

Thx,

GaryN

• I noted in an earlier on this article:

The challenge this (reply to the article) presents in the realm of .NET developers (I among them) is that of having a preference for strongly-typed datasets which the sproc (not the article's sproc, but a sproc in a reply) does not return a strongly-typed dataset.

The overarching problem with pagination is an element I will visit ion a separate reply.

So, 'overarching' is perhaps a stronger word than intended.

As noted, a decent percentage of .NET developers (I among them) have a preference for strongly-typed datasets. With Microsoft's built-in GridView Paging, 2 calls to the server are needed, which requires 2 separate sprocs, yet both using the same search query. This I loathe.

I've looked, though perhaps not high/low enough, for a methodology (in this madness) to use a single sproc that does return the desired resultset along with the total count which could easily be used in a .NET GridView or DataView and using the built-in paging.

Yes, my reply here is a mix of SQL Server and .NET, of which may be beyond the scope of this specific article and/or its readers to consider upon. Yet (here comes my justification for posting my rant [er, reply]), this article (and good it is, don't think me stating otherwise) is a general focus toward any potential solution(s) to this element of 2 separate products by the same company (MS) yet presenting a duplexity (or more) of effort to arrive at a solution [e.g. the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, or that there even is a right hand . . .].

GaryN

• TheSQLGuru (1/6/2009)

2 points to add:

1) If you are going with dynamic sql, the go completely with it. Constructs such as this:

CASE WHEN @sort=''FirstName DESC'' THEN FirstName END DESC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''FirstName ASC'' THEN FirstName END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''LastName ASC'' THEN LastName END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''LastName DESC'' THEN LastName END DESC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''ContactID ASC'' THEN ContactId END ASC,

CASE WHEN @sort=''ContactID DESC'' THEN ContactId END DESC

can be boiled down to the explicit single statement based on the ACTUAL input value of @sort.

2) more importantly, consider situations where putting all of the output data into the CTE can actually hinder performance. I have seen it work much more efficiently (especially with larger numbers of columns/data types) to simply output the necessary key values for each table involved and then select out the fields from those tables hitting the tables a second time on what will be very efficient index seeks/bookmark lookups.

SQLGuru,

Thanks for taking the time to read through the article. I have a few responses to your statements.

1) I proposed the case expression in the order by for 1 reason, to parameterize the dynamic sql. This method does have limitations, but does a better job at allowing query plan reuse and makes the code a little more secure. I agree that it is easier to do this one statement. You just have to weigh security vs maintainability.

2) I agree with this statement. The article depicted a core method for pagination, using SQL Server 2005. There are a lot of different ways to performance tune the supplied code. It is my hope that those who read this article will take away a fundamental approach to achieving a pagination solution, which does not depend on canned application code.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply