Custom assembly works fine in Report Manager, not in E-mail report

• I'm using a Custom Assembly which pulls in the subsidiary company title into the header section of each report. I've done all of the necessary work to give the code full trust by making the entry into rssrvpolicy.config in the report server directory, the code asserts a sql client permission, and dropped the DLL into the report servers bin folder.

Now, one thing I did change was I moved the connection string into the web.config and I reference that connection string in the custom assembly with:

ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("CustomAssemblyDB").ConnectionString

I did this for the purpose of making the assembly easier to move between dev, test, and production.

So this works great in the Report Manager, the reports reference the various functions in the assembly without any problems. However, when I do an email subscription, it fails. I wrote the code to catch exceptions in the places that throw them and to put in default string values like, "(company name not available)" and it doesn't even get that far with the email report, it simply says, "#Error" as if they assembly could not be referenced at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Have you checked the log files? There's usually something to point you in the right direction there. The folder should be "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\LogFiles" or something like that.

• The solution to this specifically was to add the connection string to the SSRS services config file, which is what runs the subscriptions.

However, it became apparent to another member of my team that the SQL call was only in place because of a limitation in SSRS 2005 that no longer exists in 2008, so we just took it out that function and it's associated configuration changes entirely.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply