Current Activity Window not coming up

• Hi,

We have sql 2000 standard edition. When I click on the Current Activity node, my enterprise manager hangs up. I use task manager to end the enterprise manager. I went and logged onto the actual sql server box and cannot get Current Activity to come up on that enterprise manager either. It hangs up also. I can open up all the other nodes in enterprise manager but not current activity.

Can anybody suggest some troubleshooting here?

Thank you,

Juanita 

• I would like to bet the locks. I would like to try sp_who/sp_who2 to find the locks if I were you.

• HI. I tried that and no blocking processes..I looked at the blk column in the sp_who and the blkby column in the sp_who2. nothing shows up. Am I looking at the correct column?   

• It may not be blocked, but if there are a lot of locks issued, the Current Activity screen can hang and eventually timeout.

• You may run DBCC MEMORYSTATUS to memory usage. If memory is not in a good shape, you may try to run

DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE

If none of them works, you may have to restart your SQL Server.

• One more thing, EM uses tempdb for this so if tempdb is extremely busy, timeouts will occur.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply