CubeBrowser in VB6 - 'MDX Compatibility'

• Hi.

I have a vb program that retrieves data from a cube.

There are 2 forms: One displays select queries that return required info from the cube.

The other one is just a simple form with the cube browser on it.

Anyway, when i run the program on my machine, it all works fine. I can view the cube as it is in Analysis Manager.

However, when i run it on a remote machine, I can retrieve everything from the cube in the select screen but

when i try open the cube browser screen I get the following error:

" run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':

Property name was not recognized, 'MDX Compatibility' "

the code on that form is just one line as follows:

cubeBrowser.ConnectWStr "server_name", "database_name", "cube_name"

If anyone could help I would be most grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

RyanM

Edited by - ryanm on 03/28/2003 05:08:44 AM

• Hi Ryan,

A couple of things to take a look at....

1. If you *are* trying to set the MDX compatability property, ensure oyu're setting it to a valid option ([0, 1] or 2). Check up on BOL to see the difference results (for queries) these'll give you.

2. If you're *not* trying to set the property, which I'm guessing is the case, then ensure that the client and server machines have the same SP (Service Pack) on them, preferably SP3. A coupl'a things to note on SP's. A server with SP3 will not allow any client <SP3 to connect. A server without SP3 IGNORES the ExecutionLocation setting in a conxn string. Clients and servers with differing SP's will usually force all query execution to the client. Keep in mind that there is an SP3 for PTS (Pivot Tables Services) which needs to be run on clients connecting to SP3'd servers.

Lastly, if none of the above helops/works, I am guessing from what you have written the your "Cube browser" is like a meta data display form. If so, and you're trying to do/view something administrative, keep in mind that query access to the cubes is secured via Cube/Database Roles (in AS) but Administrative access is controlled via the OLAP Administrators windows (user) group, and you may need to add users to this. Obviously you'll not want to add too many, or at least keep a good eye on who you add, as these people would/will be able to modify (ie kill) your cubes via Analysis Manager if they have it installed.

Hope some of this may help.

Steve.

Steve.

• Thank You, Steve.

I installed the SP3 and everything works perfect.

I really appreciate your help.

Ryan.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply