Cube process error

• Hello,
    Since few days, we were being reported that the cube process finished with an error on our PROD server. Of course not all the executions went wrong and none occurred in a row. As a developer I have "tiny" access there and I'm not able to monitor that environment, so I have to rely solely on information sent by our DBA's. I did some additional tests on my dev and test server but I was not able to reproduce that error.
    Please take a look for messages returned by server, any help would be appreciated.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Operation canceled; HY008.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while processing the 'Vf Cube Details Sale Partition3' partition of the 'Invoices' measure group for the 'Customer Sales' cube from the ComNet database.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Protocol error in TDS stream; HY000; Communication link failure; 08S01; Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.
    ; 08S01; Communication link failure; 08S01; Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.
    ; 08S01; Communication link failure; 08S01; Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: File system error: A system error occurred while attempting to read or write to a file store. The system might be under memory pressure or low on disk space. Physical file: \\?\E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS12.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\ComNet.0.db\Accounts.0.dim\8.Accounts SK.khstore. Logical file: . GetLastError code: 1450.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: File system error: The background thread running lazy writer encountered an I/O error. Physical file: \\?\E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS12.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\ComNet.0.db\Accounts.0.dim\8.Accounts SK.khstore. Logical file: .

Short server spec:
    SQL Server - 12.0.5000.0
    SSAS Server - 12.0.5000.0
    RAM 512GB
    CPU: 40 cores

PS. Processing goes in ProcessFull mode.

• michal.lisinski - Wednesday, May 30, 2018 4:13 AM

Hello,
    Since few days, we were being reported that the cube process finished with an error on our PROD server. Of course not all the executions went wrong and none occurred in a row. As a developer I have "tiny" access there and I'm not able to monitor that environment, so I have to rely solely on information sent by our DBA's. I did some additional tests on my dev and test server but I was not able to reproduce that error.
    Please take a look for messages returned by server, any help would be appreciated.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Operation canceled; HY008.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while processing the 'Vf Cube Details Sale Partition3' partition of the 'Invoices' measure group for the 'Customer Sales' cube from the ComNet database.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Protocol error in TDS stream; HY000; Communication link failure; 08S01; Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: File system error: A system error occurred while attempting to read or write to a file store. The system might be under memory pressure or low on disk space. Physical file: \\?\E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS12.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\ComNet.0.db\Accounts.0.dim\8.Accounts SK.khstore. Logical file: . GetLastError code: 1450.

CubeFullProcessing:Error: File system error: The background thread running lazy writer encountered an I/O error. Physical file: \\?\E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS12.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\ComNet.0.db\Accounts.0.dim\8.Accounts SK.khstore. Logical file: .

Short server spec:
    SQL Server - 12.0.5000.0
    SSAS Server - 12.0.5000.0
    RAM 512GB
    CPU: 40 cores

PS. Processing goes in ProcessFull mode.

First thought would be to have the E:\ volume on the server checked given the last error message you posted.
    😎

What other services are running on the server and what are the configurations? I've seen similar errors on SQL Servers running SSAS where the SQL Server didn't have the appropriate max memory configurations.

• I second with Eirikur Eiriksson. I have also run into this problem and can for sure confirm this is a max memory issue on the SQL Server. Process Full utilizes both high CPU and memory and depending on what else is running on the box, the system may be maxing out. We had to create a dedicated SSAS server on our end to hold all our cubes primarily due to this issue. 
    You can test a reprocess with all other jobs on hold or stopped if you have that kind of access but i dont think this has anything to do with the cube structure itself. 
    Just my two cents

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply