Cube deployment with post-deployment script

• Hi all

On our PROD server, when we deploy SSAS cubes, we want to deploy the roles that go with them (and keep the security settings) which sounds feasible enough.

On our DEV server, we want to be able to test cubes (as is normal) sdo we want to be able to deploy them without any roles (just so we can test before we add any users for them to test).

We want to either:-

1. Link the roles to our config manager (so they only get deployed on the PROD server or
    2. Run a post-deployment script (only on our DEV server) that will delete all the roles

Can anyone tell me if what we want to do is feasible?

I've had a look around SSDT (which is what we currently use) asnd there doesn't seemm to be any way to do either of the above.

Has anyone got any ideas?

• Sadly there is no option to do that in SSDT. What I usually do is script out the roles of the PROD database, and execute to recreate them after deployment. If you're going to do this, it's probably better to have no roles defined in your SSDT project...to avoid that getting deployed as well.

• That's what we currently have.  We haev a job that recreates the roles on a schedule but that doesn't alweays run (a different issue).

We were looking to do this the other way and just deploy the roles along with the cube and then just remove them from our development server.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

• I've found SSAS a nightmare. To deploy our SSAS database it I've resorted to copying all the source code files to the server it's to be deployed on and editing the source files in Visual Studio there then deploying it on that server using Visual Studio. I'm going on an SSAS course next month so I'm hoping I will know better after that.

• Thanks all.

Looks like we're doing things the right way then.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply