CSV Rendering

• I have a report which takes lot of time to render, rather the stored procedure returning the data to the report consumes good amount of time because of the number of records and conditions in the stored procedure, So what I need to implement is when the report is invoked I am displaying different rendering options, when the user selects CSV format, the download window should be displayed spontaneously, however this is not happening as the window is displayed when the stored procedure completes the processesing and gives the output to the report.

So my question is , is there anyway to invoke the download windows when the stored procedure is invoked instead of displaying it after the stored procedure is process(which is the default behaviour)

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• You have a few options.  If the report doesn't have parameters, or if it does but they can be defaulted, then consider running snapshots or alternatviely using the cache.  Either method will let you run the report at timed intervals and the data is stored in the RS server DB.  When the user/s access the report they will be dragging the data only from the RS server, not running the sproc in real-time.  This will make the report opening bsically immediately (dependant on formatting you've applied) and then they can save to any format quickly also. 

The key difference is that snapshots are usually used whne you want to keep a history of report executions (ie let people run yesterdays/last weeks/last months report) whereas the chache is transient.

Steve.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply