Crystal Reporting to Web

• Having spent some time looking into my options, I need some help from the pro's and others who have been there and done that. I currently have a SQL 2000 environment that uses BO's Crystal Reports XI. Current reports are printed or pdf'd, but publishing them to the web is now desirable. That said, there is also a need to allow end users the ability to act interactively so they may not only view up-to-date static reports, but also be allowed to create one-off reports from a list(s) of available options/criteria.

I'm perplexed as to what vehicle (names of products) is needed or will work to help me egt them there. I don't know enough of SQL's own reporting functions, and with this server being the 2000 version, they're slim anyway. Does anyone know of a solution that will allow for all the needs I have?

I hope that was to the point and made sense.

Thank you,

Nick

• We are using CR also and we use Crystal Managment Console and then our web interface is called eportfolio.

In the CMC we can give access to users to either run already configured reports or they can pick what type of information they want to see.

Another note that if you use sql statments with CR the web reports will run slow.

you will need to create all statments as stored procedures and then access the sp from CR. you then need to publish them using the CMC

• Linda,

Thank you very much for the reply as everything you gave is new information to me. I'll be sure to research all of it.

Since my initial posting, I found a product called ReCrystallize. Do you or others have any experience with this product? I only ask as our time to produce and monetary resources are slim and we're trying to get this project started with as little time and money as possible. As it develops however, I'm sure the organization will see the benefits and spend accordingly.

Thank you!

• I do not have any experience with that specific product. sorry 🙁

• Sounds to me like any of the following would work:

- Crystal Reports Server and/or a businessObjects Universe with the appropriate permissions set up

- the Post SP2 SQL Reporting Services installation (for 2000).

- a stand-alone SSRS 2005 install, pulling data against the older 2000 database.

Not to mention about a million third-party apps. All of them will involve some amount of legwork to produce the effect you want, but all can do it. Your req's are fairly basic, so it may be a matter of finding what gives you the right "feel".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thanks Matt!

With all the possibilities available, we do see this as a basic need in just getting started. I appreciate the ideas on CR Server, but I'm hoping we can spend less money. With what I know about SQL reporting, I'll definitely take into account the sceanrio you've laid out as we do have a 2005 server (it's just sitting) that was described to me as the reporting server. That said, I've walked into all of this anew and am trying to figure out what they know and don't know. Sounds like fun for sure 🙂

Thank you all for the help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply