CROSS APPLY on named sets

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item CROSS APPLY on named sets

----------------------------------------------------

• I dunno about the "correct" answer on this one. The statements compile for me but produce an error at run-time. Seems to be a bit of a mixup here.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/12/2016)

I dunno about the "correct" answer on this one. The statements compile for me but produce an error at run-time. Seems to be a bit of a mixup here.

What version of SQL Server? It fails the compilation on 2008,2008R2,2012 and 2014.

😎

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Phew.., I got the two points for the answer - but can't say I got the point of the question, even reading the outline. - Lucky though, to keep my streak alive: Tomorrow it is either one full month since mid-december, or devastation.

• The T-SQL parses OK but does not compile. A lesson re-learnt this morning for me; the difference between parse and compile. 🙂

• I think it's the difference between "parse" and "compile" that is causing the confusion here.

• I disagree with explanation, the error generated

Msg 4104, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

The multi-part identifier "o.object_id" could not be bound.

it's not caused by CROSS APPLY, but a reference to a column not yet linked.

These examples generate the same error:

SELECT s1.c1, o.object_id

FROM (values (o.object_id+2)) s1(c1)

CROSS JOIN sys.objects o

or

SELECT s1.c1, o.object_id

FROM (values (o.object_id+2)) s1(c1)

JOIN sys.objects o on 1=1

• This is what I got 🙂

c1 c1

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/12/2016)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2016)

I dunno about the "correct" answer on this one. The statements compile for me but produce an error at run-time. Seems to be a bit of a mixup here.

What version of SQL Server? It fails the compilation on 2008,2008R2,2012 and 2014.

😎

I can't find any option to compile a query. Parse, yes (the query parses). Execute, yes (the query fails - "The multi-part identifier "s2.c1" could not be bound.") But compile?

• edwardwill (1/13/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (1/12/2016)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2016)

😎

I can't find any option to compile a query. Parse, yes (the query parses). Execute, yes (the query fails - "The multi-part identifier "s2.c1" could not be bound.") But compile?

Generate the estimated execution plan 🙂

• Jacob Wilkins (1/13/2016)

edwardwill (1/13/2016)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2016)

😎

I did that. No compilation errors reported.

• edwardwill (1/13/2016)

Jacob Wilkins (1/13/2016)

edwardwill (1/13/2016)

SQLRNNR (1/12/2016)

😎

I did that. No compilation errors reported.

Hmmm...generates an error for me.

• SQLRNNR (1/12/2016)

+1

• See attachment.

Edward

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply