Critical SQL Server Patches for Meltdown and Spectre

• trhorner - Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:24 AM

Question:
    Does it matter what order you do the OS patch and SQL Server patch?  Some of my development servers I plan to do the SQL Server patch first, then the SA will do the OS patch.

I've done some SQL first, some OS (because one came out before the other). it won't matter which you do first, however, you should do both.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thanks!

• Has anyone seen a decrease in performance from this patching?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• There have been reports from some people, others reported no change. I suspect this is workload dependent.

• Across the board, we are seeing significant increases in backup times.  The backups that previously took 2 hours are now taking 8.
    The only change to the environment were the various patches for this vulnerability.  The only significant change is about a 40 GB growth on the largest set of databases.  40 additional GB's out of 1 TB does not translate to a ten-fold increase!

We still have more digging, but it's really looking like the patches are the culprit.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• I can't say I have seen any increases in backup times on servers that have had the patch installed. Certainly, for a 86GB database with 47GB of used space and a 176GB database with 169GB of used space, there was no increase. 
    The database consistency checks haven't increased in duration either on these databases.
    Could the problem exist on the device you are backing up to if you are seeing the problem across your SQL servers?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply