Creativity

• I'm in the same place, too. I came in and inherited lots of not so elegant solutions that could be made very svelte. We are getting there to make it so but it is slowed by the todo list. Sometimes it may be that workers have the ability to just take the time out of a day to explore, depending on the culture. Other times it is just "get it done." A little thinking can go a little ways but I believe a lot of thinking up from can go a really long way for the solution.

• My company has an internal hackathon type event. They bring in food and drink and have prizes. Sometimes the entries getting incorporated into the software, sometimes it's just an exploration of an idea.

• Great piece, Steve. My sole objection is your calling this "think time". I call it "dream time", and its whole purpose is to shut the thinking machine down, and allow the dream-machine its moment to flower, without considerations of practicality, time-to-develop, where it fits in with our marketing plans, and all of those considerations that hamper the flower.

On this week, or on that day per week, or however you want to slice it, the whole point is to STOP thinking inside the box, and just for once, think outside the box, just about "Wouldn't it be cool if...?" That is when great ideas are born.

Arthur Fuller
    cell: 647-710-1314

Only two businesses refer to their clients as users: drug-dealing and software development.
    -- Arthur Fuller

• This would be really great. I have 10, wait 15, wait 20 of those things it seems to be piling up right now. All of these special projects that would really help. It would be great to find that time needed to finish them off. A program such as this at work would help greatly. 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• An idea: Apply this on Friday afternoon after lunch, when you're probably not going to accomplish much in-the-box work anyway.

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv

• Miles Neale (9/12/2012)

TravisDBA (9/12/2012)

Either that, or in most cases they will just drop the whole thing in your lap with little to go on and say "Fix it by the end of the week". That is usually the way it works. 😀

Such are our lives! "Is it possible to do this and have it ready by last month?" Is not an unthinkable question to many.

m.

I'm reminded of another quote as well: "Lack planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on mine.":-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• jbnv (9/13/2012)

An idea: Apply this on Friday afternoon after lunch, when you're probably not going to accomplish much in-the-box work anyway.

Great idea.

• An idea: Apply this on Friday afternoon after lunch, when you're probably not going to accomplish much in-the-box work anyway.

Friday afternoon? That's when project managers that have been sitting on data and projects all week, dump them in your in-box and impose silly deadlines like Monday at 8:00 AM...

:w00t:

• chrisn-585491 (9/14/2012)

An idea: Apply this on Friday afternoon after lunch, when you're probably not going to accomplish much in-the-box work anyway.

Friday afternoon? That's when project managers that have been sitting on data and projects all week, dump them in your in-box and impose silly deadlines like Monday at 8:00 AM...

Totally been there.

• chrisn-585491 (9/14/2012)

I suspect that the sort of project manager who would dump new work on you on a Friday afternoon would not be too keen to letting you work on creative pursuits instead of requirements in the first place. 🙂

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply