Creating Roles/Logins

• I know these things are inter related but which one do we create first ?

OR

What is the difference between User, Login , Role and Schema

At which level we control the security ?

[font="Verdana"]
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday:-)
    [/font]

• Z@f (5/5/2010)

I know these things are inter related but which one do we create first ?

OR

This is long topic but try this link http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1061781.html

• Z@f (5/5/2010)

I know these things are inter related but which one do we create first ?

OR

As was stated, there is a wealth of information out there detailing each of those things. But to quickly explain what each one is, you can think of it as follows;

Login- A login gets you into the instance. This is necessary for all users and these can be single logins or even domain groups depending on your SQL Server setup.

User- Users are database specific. a login is mapped to a user in a database.

Role- Roles can be either default or user defined. they can be server level roles (for logins) or database level roles (for users). Users are assigned to roles which are granted a specific set of permissions and are used to enforce security rules.

Schema- A schema is a database level object container. Tables, views, and procedures can all be in a schema. A schema is intended to be used to enforce security policies but it can also be used as a logical container just to group items together in one database.

Hope that helps.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply