Creating Maintenance plans in SQL Server 2016 SSMS

• Hello All,

Am trying to create maintenance plans like backups using ssms in SQL Server 2016 and got the following error while dragging a tool item into the plan. Please let me know the most probable solution. Following is the error message. 

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------
    Cannot add the selected toolbox item to the package.
    Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\SQL Server Developer Tools\140\Microsoft.SqlServer.Sqm.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\SQL Server Developer Tools\140\Microsoft.SqlServer.Sqm.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design)

______________________________________________________________Every Problem has a Solution; Every Solution has a Problem: 🙂

• I haven't been using SSMS that long so I can't give a definite answer but I suspect this is an issue with the SSMS install, possibly user permissions or clash with some other software. Answers to the following questions might help other posters provide advice:

Is it a new install of SSMS or recently upgraded e.t.c?
    Have you got other development software or other versions of SSMS on your machine?
    Are you running it using the same account that installed the software?

Thanks

• karthik babu - Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:13 AM

Hello All,

Am trying to create maintenance plans like backups using ssms in SQL Server 2016 and got the following error while dragging a tool item into the plan. Please let me know the most probable solution. Following is the error message. 

Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\SQL Server Developer Tools\140\Microsoft.SqlServer.Sqm.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\SQL Server Developer Tools\140\Microsoft.SqlServer.Sqm.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design)

Did you check to see if that file is in that location? If it isn't, do a search for it, should be in a couple of other locations and you can copy it to that directory.

Sue

• karthik babu - Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:13 AM

Hello All,

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adding to the other comments, version "140" is SSMS 2017.  If you are connecting to an SQL Server 2016 instance, I recommend using SSMS 2016 for maintenance plans.
    Version matching for Maintenance plans (and SSIS) will result in the fewest errors.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• 1. Am not able to find the folder "SQL Server Developer Tools" in the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\"

2. Is it a new install of SSMS or recently upgraded e.t.c? - No it was installed along with SQL Server instance 
    Have you got other development software or other versions of SSMS on your machine? No. 
    Are you running it using the same account that installed the software? The account has highest privilege. 

Should I upgrade the SSMS? What version should I use?
    My present version is Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio v 17.1                       14.0.17119.0

______________________________________________________________Every Problem has a Solution; Every Solution has a Problem: 🙂

• The error comes in primary cluster. Am able to create\edit management plans in the secondary server of the cluster. However structure in both the server's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\" folders are same. Not sure about the reason.

• karthik babu - Friday, October 13, 2017 12:11 AM

The error comes in primary cluster. Am able to create\edit management plans in the secondary server of the cluster. However structure in both the server's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\" folders are same. Not sure about the reason.

Hi,
    is the user, who startet the services, on both cluster nodes able to look in to the folders?
    If the folders are equal on both cluster nodes, it could be a problem of rights on the folder / files.

Kind regards,
    Andreas

• Yes. Permission is not a problem. 

Thanks

• karthik babu - Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:42 PM

1. Am not able to find the folder "SQL Server Developer Tools" in the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\"

2. Is it a new install of SSMS or recently upgraded e.t.c? - No it was installed along with SQL Server instance 
    Have you got other development software or other versions of SSMS on your machine? No. 
    Are you running it using the same account that installed the software? The account has highest privilege. 

Should I upgrade the SSMS? What version should I use?
    My present version is Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio v 17.1                       14.0.17119.0

I believe that directory is created when installing SSDT.
    It's interesting that other maintenance plan errors have come up with SQL 2016 that were fixed after installing SSDT. I would consider installing SSDT since it seems to fix several similar errors.

Sue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply