Creating Linked Servers in SQL Server 2005

• I have two SQL 2005 Servers and that i want to create linked servers between using a specific remote SQL Login.

On ServerA i successfully setup the link to ServerB using remote account 'remoteUser'. If i exec SELECT * FROM sys.linked_logins i can see the uses_self_credential = false and remote_name = 'remoteUser' so all is good and working fine.

However when i attempt to link from ServerB to ServerA i get the following error:

Msg 15466, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_addlinkedsrvlogin, Line 91

An error occurred during decryption.

Msg 15185, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_addlinkedsrvlogin, Line 98

There is no remote user 'remoteUser' mapped to local user 'remoteUser' from the remote server 'ServerA'.

Even though the remoteUser login exists on both SQL Servers. Executing SELECT * FROM sys.linked_logins on ServerB returns zero rows.

Any suggestions as to what is causing the error?

• You created RemoteUser on both the servers. But on ServerA is this user mapped to the database you are trying to look data into.. Check if this RemoteUser user is not orphan on database.

SQL DBA.

• I assume by orphaned you mean the login has not associated database user??

If so then the login is not orphaned.

What's also strange is that even though the New Linked Server window erros it inserts a row into the system tables because if i exec SELECT * FROM sys.linked_logins i get the following:

server_id local_principal_id uses_self_credential remote_name modify_date

1 0 1 NULL 2009-08-06 16:48:

Whereas what i want is :

uses_self_credential remote_name

0 remoteUser

• Anyone tried creating Master keys on 1st server?

This shows me the decryption error which geenrally comes when we are trying to bridge a connection with a server which has a Master key on a DB with some password.

Even i faced some probem in creating linked server but that was just beacuse one server was 32 bit and the other was 64bit. IF thisis your architecture letme know i knw the solutions for this problem.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com
    Twitter: @Sarab_SQLGeek

• Sarab (8/15/2009)

Anyone tried creating Master keys on 1st server?

This shows me the decryption error which geenrally comes when we are trying to bridge a connection with a server which has a Master key on a DB with some password.

Even i faced some probem in creating linked server but that was just beacuse one server was 32 bit and the other was 64bit. IF thisis your architecture letme know i knw the solutions for this problem.

Hi,

please help me with problem between 32 bit and 64 bit of SQL servers, one 32-bit is sql 2000 and second is 64-bit SQL 2008 and when i want linked 32bit server to 64 bit,occurred error Msg 15466 and then Msg 15185.

THX.Jiri

• If you are facing 64 bit to 32 Bit error

You may receive an error message when you try to run distributed queries from a 64-bit SQL Server 2005 client to a linked 32-bit SQL Server 2000 server or to a linked SQL Server 7.0 server

this link may help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=906954

In this scenario you need to download & create a SP sp_tables_info_rowset_64 on your 32 Bit server and this sp has 2 parts. After doing this you need to change certain MSDTC Settings for Your server. You can do this with the help of attached document.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com

• But if you are facing Error No 15466 & 15185

This link has a solution for you. However i've not tried and tested it.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/36d70593-7abd-4759-91ab-47ee03ce84d0

&

http://www.lazydba.com/sql/1__28582.html

Do tell me which helped you indeed.

Regards,
    Sarabpreet Singh 😎
    Sarabpreet.com
    SQLChamp.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply