creating large offline cubes fails

• Hello,

we use SQL-Server2000, SP3a. We access to the Cubes by Excel2003 Pivot Table Service. Creating an Offline Cube via "Offline OLAP" manually out of PTS, Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Analysis Services returns: "Error at Datasource Provider"  after 45 minutes. The Cube has a size of 2GB. All of the dimensions and measures were selected in PTS. Then I selected just a part of the dim's and measures t build a smaller offline cube. An 368MB cube on the target client was exported in 45 Minutes. The target disk on my ClientPC had at this moment free space of 20GB, but the cpu- and memory-usage was used nearly 100% during the build of the offline cube. Does PTS cache the whole cube in the Clients memory? Is there any faster (automated) way to create an offline cube? I tried http://www.localcubetask.com/createwithvb.htm whithout success.

Greetings from Germany

Ralf Bohne

• The Error at Datasource Provider message is coming from Excel2003?  If so, how many rows are in the Cube, (i.e. is the rowcount larger than Excel2003 can handle/open)?

[font="Arial"]Clifton G. Collins III[/font]

• Hi,

the error comes from Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Analysis Services. The Cube Input is 12,000,000 rows. But in the Excel-Sheet only the upper Dimension-Generations where selected - no Level0-members, so that the Online-Excel-Report had just a few rows.

Ralf

• o.k. I learned from sdgcomputing.com a local cube should not be larger than 200MB, because of the bad performance of a 2GB cube. I'll now use backup/restore...

• That's a really big cube!  Why is it so big?  How many dimensions and levels? Is there really that much dimensional info, or are you actually storing detail-level data in the cube?

To make the cube more manageable you can look into using virtual cubes, and partitioning out segments or domains of data.

Bis später!

- Rick

• Hi Rick,

we have 12.500.000 records and 16 Dimensions in this cube. The customer an the account dimensions have a large number of members. though we use vitual dimensions I dont't really believe, that the cubes storage can be reduced to less than 1,5gig. we solved the problem in another way. thank you. ralf 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply