Creating keys from a CA

• When discussing the creation of encryption keys for our SQL 2008 servers, our ITSO said that he wants the keys created using a certificate authority rather than have SQL Server generate them. Is this possible? Can you point me to some material that discusses this?

Thanks!

• Lee Forst (8/13/2009)

When discussing the creation of encryption keys for our SQL 2008 servers, our ITSO said that he wants the keys created using a certificate authority rather than have SQL Server generate them. Is this possible? Can you point me to some material that discusses this?

Thanks!

well SQL Server certificates comply with the IETF X.509v3 certificate standard. you can use sqlserver to generate self signed certificates, or you can use externally generated certificates.

you can look at Certificate Creation Tool (Makecert.exe) or if you want to pay for it, look at the likes of "verisign" for certificates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply