Creating Identity column reorders table

• I have a table with 1 column (varchar) and when I create an identity column with autoincrement on it.  It does not keep the order which the table is in.  How do I create an identity column without loosing the existing order ?

• Tables are not ordered to start with. How are you defining your current "order". Alphabetically?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I'm not defining the order.  It's the natural order that the data is in.  When I do a Select * from table...and returns the order it is in.  When I create an identity column....the order changes when i view the data.  Things are not coming up in the same order anymore.

• GrassHopper - Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:20 AM

I'm not defining the order.  It's the natural order that the data is in.

There's no such thing as 'natural order' in a table. Tables are unordered sets of data.

When I do a Select * from table...and returns the order it is in.  When I create an identity column....the order changes when i view the data.  Things are not coming up in the same order anymore.

If you don't specify an order by clause, the order that the data is returned is undefined, and any order is as good as any other order. If you want your data back in a particular order, you must put an ORDER BY clause on the query that returns the data. It's the only way you are guaranteed to get data in any particular order

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Then your data is completely unordered. You can't guarantee it, and you don't have a way of replicating it. As I said, data in SQL tables is unordered, and the order that you get the results in can change EVERY time you run a query, unless you define an ORDER BY clause.

You could try this, but there no way you can actually guarantee the order without defining an ORDER BY clause. Note I would suggest doing a backup of your table/database first, because this process WILL DELETE ALL THE DATA IN YOUR TABLE:
    --Create a temp table
    CREATE TABLE #TempData (id int IDENTITY(1,1), YourColumn varchar(50));
    GO
    /*
    HOPE everything goes in in the "right" order (not that you can guarantee it.)
    This step is PURE LUCK
    */
    INSERT INTO #TempData (YourColumn)
    SELECT YourColumn
    FROM YourTable;
    GO
    --Delete your existing data
    DELETE FROM YourTable;
    GO
    --Add your new Column
    ALTER TABLE YourTable ADD IDColumn int IDENTITY(1,1);
    GO
    --Allow Identity inserts
    SET IDENTITY_INSERT YourTable ON;
    GO
    --Insert data
    INSERT INTO YourTable (IDColumn, YourColumn)
    SELECT id, YourColumn
    FROM #TempData;
    GO
    --Disable Identity inserts
    SET IDENTITY_INSERT YourTable OFF;
    GO
    --Clean up
    DROP TABLE #TempData;
    GO
    --Check the data
    SELECT *
    FROM YourTable
    ORDER BY IDColumn;
    GO

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Without the actual schema, and some sample data, it's a bit difficult to figure out exactly what may be going on.

I created a single column table with a varchar field, no keys or indexes, and filled it with 1000 rows.  
    SELECT * returned the data in the same order before and after I added an identity column. 
    Here's the code:

DROP TABLE dbo.WhatOrder

CREATE TABLE dbo.WhatOrder
    (
        Varchar_Field varchar(255) NOT NULL
    )

INSERT INTO WhatOrder(Varchar_Field)
    SELECT B.name + CONVERT(varchar(20), ROW_NUMBER () OVER (ORDER BY A.name))
    FROM sys.objects A
    CROSS APPLY sys.objects B

SELECT *
    FROM WhatOrder

ALTER TABLE WhatOrder ADD WhatOrder_ID int IDENTITY(1,1)

SELECT *
    FROM WhatOrder

My question is what does the order matter?  If the data needs to be returned in a specific order, your query needs to specify that with an ORDER BY clause.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• This data was imported from another format.  Someone else will be taking care of it before importing it into SQL.  Thanks! I definitely learned something about the order of tables.

• Michael L John - Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:43 AM

Without the actual schema, and some sample data, it's a bit difficult to figure out exactly what may be going on.

I created a single column table with a varchar field, no keys or indexes, and filled it with 1000 rows.  
    SELECT * returned the data in the same order before and after I added an identity column. 

Just pure luck then, tbh. I just created a table (went a bit excessive) with 99,999,999 rows, and a top 1 returned the value 28,942,738 row's value.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply