creating file groups for the existing database

• Hi All,

I have a question. We have a sample database in sql server 2000. Now in that database we would like to create a table that stores the pdf files. We are thinking of creating a secondary file group and create this new table inside that filegroup. But the default filegroup should be the primary filegroup. How could I do that? Can I do that using Enterprise Manager? Does it improve any performance?

Thanks,

Sridhar.

• Right click on the database in EM and select "Properties" ... then goto the filegroups tab! U can add new filegroups and set the default in there! From there, u can then add the files that you want (Data Files tab) and size them appropriately!

The gain in performance with multiple files / filegroups is open to debate ... theoretically, yes, it improves performance if ur disk subsystem is up to it ... but the gain isn't noticeable until ur in the realms of 50Gb+ sized DB's. Saying that though, deploying ur DB like this does ensure a level of consistency, the performance of queries will not drop as drastically as the DB increases in size!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply