Creating Dimension Based on Multiple Values Grouped in Fact Table

• I have a fact table for retail sales (FactRetailSales) that has a granularity of invoice line number.

I have a degenerate dimension for Invoice Number.

Within all the rows of an Invoice, a line item can refer to either a product or a service. So some invoices might have only services, some may have only products and some may have both.

I want to create a dimension that would exist at the invoice number level that indicates 'Product Only'; 'Service Only'; or 'Both Product and Service'.

Could this be achieved using a degenerate dimension, or should I create a regular dimension for it?

To add further complication, I also want two other dimensions (also at the Invoice Number level). They also only have a few values, which would qualify it as a junk dimension?

• I have a fact table with the same granularity. I have an Invoice Header dimension. In my design, I would add that in this dimension.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Thanks for the input.

So you went with a regular dimension for the invoice, rather than a degenerate dimension?

Now that I have these other attributes to add, I think that would be the better path.

• My Invoice Header dimension probably could be referred to as a degenerate dimension. It was created to hold values that apply to the whole invoice for cases where a separate dimension seemed unwarranted.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply