Creating DB diagram

• Hi,

I was planning to create a DB diagram of a user DB to better understand the relationship however when I right-click on database diagram (please expand the user DB to see this option) I see an alert window saying 'This database does not have one or more of the support objects required to use database diagramming. Do you wish to create them?

what object will it create? is it safe to create them or I might impact other things? please advise.

Regards!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• It's safe to create them, it's just several small objects. It will create a system table in the database called sysdiagrams and several stored procedures, function that support the diagrams. It could depend on versions but to give you an idea, here is one set of those procedures,function that it created when I created a new diagram:

sp_upgraddiagrams

sp_helpdiagrams

sp_helpdiagramdefinition

sp_creatediagram

sp_renamediagram

sp_alterdiagram

sp_dropdiagram

fn_diagramobjects

Sue

• sizal0234 wrote:

...what object will it create? is it safe to create them or I might impact other things?

Just a warning with using the Database Diagramming feature of Management Studio, if you make changes in the diagram, it is physically tied to the database so the tool will attempt to make the same change to your database.  If you just want to look at it, it's fine, but if you want to model potential changes, I'd stick with an external tool.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply