Creating an Extended Event in a SQL Managed Instance

• Recently moved our environment to SQL 2019 Managed Instance from SQL 2017 environment.  Trying to re-setup the Extended Event we had running to capture Deadlocks but having issues using an Azure Data Blob for storing the Extended Event file.

The initial creation finally worked but when trying to start it get the following error:

"The target,....", encountered a configuration error during initialization. Object cannot be added to the event session.  The operating system returned error 86:  "The specified network password is not correct".

How to add the network password when creating the event?

Thanks,

Daniel

• I forgot to create the new Credential in SQL for the new Azure Storage Blob.  Once I added it, I was able to create the Extended Event.

But now getting an error that the "File exists and t hat the SQL Server service account has access to it.".

• The service account that SQL Server is running under must have access to the folder where you expect the Extended Event session to write to. It's nothing about creating the Extended Event itself. It's all about the network configuration and security settings externally.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• In Managed Instance, what is the Service Account?  Not the same as a regular instance where you setup the accounts and have control over it.

• Oh crud. Sorry. I totally missed that this was a managed instance. I actually have never set up Extended Events on MI. I've done it multiple times on Azure SQL Database, but I think it might be a little different. The issue is still one of permissions, but the solution is different.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I found an article that states to create a 'Scope' Credential but I think this applies only to Azure SQL Database.  The workaround I have is to use Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer and download the file locally and then able to open it up and view the data.  Not ideal as just viewing the data in SSMS.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply