Creating a Stored Procedure

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Creating a Stored Procedure

• Nice question thanks Steve.

• Nice easy one, thanks Steve

• One of the absolute worst features ever of SQL Server. At the very least, there should be an option to turn this off and make it optional. Let's make everyone think the procedure is fine and dandy, only to be burned later at run time.

• I agree. I'm only doing these questions so people are aware if they run into the strange situation.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:11 AM

I agree. I'm only doing these questions so people are aware if they run into the strange situation.

Understood.  It's also pretty tough on the dependency lists (IIRC).  Might make another good QOD on the subject.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Used to be, iirc, that SQL Server would warn you when the object was created that there was a missing dependency.

• Great question and love the red herrings. They all sound like feasible options.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 โ€“ Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:18 AM

Understood.  It's also pretty tough on the dependency lists (IIRC).  Might make another good QOD on the subject.

If you want to write some questions...

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:39 AM

.... They would be insightful and informative, no doubt!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:39 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:18 AM

It's funny how paths of things seem to merge... there are a couple of things that I've been considering to submit.  You typically won't find the answers in Books Online, though.  It that ok?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• BTW... I've said it in the past and I have to say it again... Thank you, Mr. Jones, for all that you've done and continue to do for the denizens of this site.  Going a full day without reading something that you've written causes withdrawal symptoms.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:25 PM

BTW... I've said it in the past and I have to say it again... Thank you, Mr. Jones, for all that you've done and continue to do for the denizens of this site.  Going a full day without reading something that you've written causes withdrawal symptoms.

And the same goes for you as well Jeff ๐Ÿ˜€

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:23 PM

It's funny how paths of things seem to merge... there are a couple of things that I've been considering to submit.  You typically won't find the answers in Books Online, though.  It that ok?

Yes, or submit a question and a PR for BOL (or I can)

• David Burrows - Friday, March 8, 2019 1:59 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:25 PM

BTW... I've said it in the past and I have to say it again... Thank you, Mr. Jones, for all that you've done and continue to do for the denizens of this site.  Going a full day without reading something that you've written causes withdrawal symptoms.

And the same goes for you as well Jeff ๐Ÿ˜€

Heh... thanks, David.  I guess I need to put my shoulder to the wheel and start writing again.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply