CREATING A SQL SERVER 2008 R2 ACTIVE\ACTIVE CLUSTER

• Hi guys,

When setting up a SQL Activve\Active Cluster on Win 2008 R2 SP1,

Which is the best way to create resource groups?

Do i let the SQL installation create them or do i create them manually on the Failover cluster Manager?

• Be careful or your setup might do the opposite of what you require.

SQL Server & Windows will create the resource groups based on what you provide in the setup.

Run Cluster Setup 1 from Node 1, and Cluster Setup 2 from Node 2.

Node 2 will be Cluster 1 failover node, and Node 1 will be Cluster 2 failover node.

Be sure to have enough lun's available to accommodate each cluster and its resources, you wont be able to share storage between the 2 clusters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• i am now experincing an error that states "The given networkname is unusable bacause there was failure trying to determine if the network name is valid for use by the Clustered SQL instance due to the following error:'Access Denied' "

please help.

What's missing?

the names are already on AD and also oon DNS lookups and when i ping them they reply.

• THE-FHA (3/22/2012)

Hi guys,

When setting up a SQL Activve\Active Cluster on Win 2008 R2 SP1,

Which is the best way to create resource groups?

Do i let the SQL installation create them or do i create them manually on the Failover cluster Manager?

Pre create the applications\groups and then select the appropriate entity during the installation when prompted to do so

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I have seen issues with VM tools causing this error. But in your case it sounds more like AD permissions. Try to run the setup.exe as an administrator. If that doesn't help have an admin with high AD rights login for you and then run the setup.exe as an administrator.

Also I let the SQL install create the resource groups on the cluster, your AD account should be an admin on both nodes.

CEWII

• The account you are installing with, must have modify rights to the container/OU where the new virtual objects will be created.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Now i am having new problem, the install did not finish successfully, cant bring resources online.

• That could be due to a lot of things.

Maybe post the error?

• Any resources? All resources? One node? Both Nodes?

CEWII

• @Elliott Whitlow

I have irritated the AD guys until they gave me full access to AD, i managed to add the neccessary rights for the cluster and the instance installed successfully without errors.

As i was adding the second node, it fails with errors like could add nodes blah blah blah.

So i have decided to evict the node from the CLUSTER SERVER MANAGER, stopped the cluster service and disabled it.

I have asked the server Engineers to reinstall the OS on the other node and once they are done i will start setting up the Cluster service Manager, then add the server to the Cluster Manger, then enable the cluster Service again and try adding the node again.

i shall keep you guys updated on the Outcome of the second Node. Thanks in advance.

• Good to know, best of luck..

CEWII

• Hi guys,

i have managed to setup the active/active cluster successfully finally after all the challenges with the AD guys and the server OS issues.

The OS was reinstalled on the other node as discussed and i run the add features option to install the prerequisites and the Clr manager service. after all this has been done, the only challenge i faced was adding the node on the windows cluster manager coz the manager was telling me that the node exists, how i work around that was to disable the service and then add the node and then enable the service again.

Now everything is running smoothly and i have done my hand over to the SharePoint Team.

Thanks A lot for your help guys. Let's keep it up.

• Glad to hear it is all worked out.

CEWII

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply