Creating a Compatibility Product Table

• I have a product table with information from my products and my competitors products. I'd like to create a compatibility reference table between my products. the best way is to create a table with two field reference the same sku column in the product table?

• Hello,

I believe you are trying to model the relationship between your company’s products and the competitor’s products – correct?

Presumably each of your company’s products can have multiple competitors. I would also guess that a single competing product can be a rival to more than one of your products.

In this case you have a many-to-many relationship. This indeed you would want to represent via a “Resolver Table” i.e. no direct Foreign-key relation ship between the In-House-Products and Competitor-Products. Instead the Primary-Keys of these two Entities would be Attributes (columns) in the Resolver Table.

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Nicely done John -good to know we still have good data modelers out there; I've nothing else to add.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thanks for the reply.

What John Marsh said is true. I have a product table and a competitors table. I made a compatibility table with two column. ( productID, competitorsID ) for this. I think is that what John said. ( correct me if I am wrong ).

Another question. I thought about inputing all data products ( in-house and competitors ) in the same product table. I would have only two table.

Product Table ( with data from in-house products and my competitors ).

Compatibility Table ( productID, productID ).

Is common to have data from these two tables (products+competitors) merged in a single product table?

What Would You suggest?

• nalmir.hugo (6/14/2009)Is common to have data from these two tables (products+competitors) merged in a single product table?

:w00t: Nope.

The list of your-company's-products is one entity.

The list of your-competitor's-products is another entity.

nalmir.hugo (6/14/2009)What Would You suggest?

Follow John's directions. 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hello again,

I have a product table and a competitors table. I made a compatibility table with two column. ( productID, competitorsID ) for this. I think is that what John said. ( correct me if I am wrong )

That is what I meant.

As Paul has stated it is best to keep In-House-Products and Competitor-Products as separate Entities (Tables).

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• :-)thanks John and Paul. It's good to have a place to share concepts about DB Designs.

• You can then create a view as a UNION ALL of the those two tables and use that for simplicity.

SELECT * , 1 as 'party' FROM myproducts

union all

SELECT * ,2 FROM myCompetitor

the last column to distinguish your items from the rivals. THis is just a simple idea, I'm sure you can build something more elaborate.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply