Create_Statistics from DDL Trigger

• Hi All

I have created a DDL trigger on database for all events, i am recording the event in a table on a separate database , when i checked the table there was a event type called as CREATE_STATISTICS and with object type STATISTICS and Object Name _WA_Sys_00000007_673459DE and command text as --ENCRYPTED--, when checked it seems some statistics have been created on this database by a user,

My Question is what action will trigger this event type, since this is the only entry for that user on the database.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

• That's an automatically created statistics set. The user didn't run anything manually, they ran a query, the query optimiser decided it needed stats that didn't exist and since the db option auto_create_statistics is true, it went ahead and created the stats.

You can ignore that event in a DDL trigger as well as update statistics as both will happen relatively often.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gial, Is it a good practice to leave AutoCreateStats on on database, or turn it off

• If you turn it off then the optimiser can't create stats in order to get an estimate of rows affected by a query. If it can't get that estimate, it guesses, often very badly. Bad guesses as to rows affected for a query often lead to very poorly performing queries.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Giall 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply