Create View Declar Variable question

• I have below query which I need to create a view for it, can you please guide me to what is the best way to create the view? Thank you. 

create table #ListOfUsers
    (
           [FULLNAME] varchar(200),
           varchar(100),
           [ACCOUNT_NAME] varchar(200),
           [ACCOUNT_NAME_WITH_DOMAIN] varchar(200),
           [DEPARTMENT] varchar(200),
           [TITLE] varchar(200)
           ,[AD_GROUP] varchar(200)

)
    SET NOCOUNT ON
    declare @GCN varchar(100),@DISTGName varchar(1000), @USERINFO varchar (4000), @RESULT varchar (4000);
    declare gC cursor
    for
    select cn, distinguishedName
    from openquery
    (ADSI,'SELECT cn, distinguishedName
    FROM ''LDAP://admin.schools.lcps/DC=Admin,DC=schools,DC=lcps''
    WHERE objectClass =  ''Group''
    AND NAME=''DEVELOPERS''
    or NAME=''DBAS''
    or NAME=''SYSTEMS''
    ')
    open gC
    FETCH NEXT FROM gC INTO @GCN, @DISTGName
    WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
    set @USERINFO = '''select  title, department, sAMAccountName, mail , displayname
    FROM ''''LDAP://admin.schools.lcps/DC=Admin,DC=schools,DC=lcps''''
    WHERE objectCategory = ''''Person'''' AND objectClass = ''''user''''
    AND memberOf=''''' + @DISTGName + '''''';
    set @RESULT = 'select '+ ''''+@GCN+'''' +' As AD_GROUP, title, department, sAMAccountName, ''ADMIN\''+sAmAccountName , mail , displayname from openquery(ADSI,'+ @USERINFO +''') '
    insert into #ListOfUsers([AD_GROUP], [TITLE], [DEPARTMENT],[ACCOUNT_NAME], [ACCOUNT_NAME_WITH_DOMAIN],  , [FULLNAME])
    EXEC (@RESULT)
    --print @RESULT
    FETCH NEXT FROM gC INTO @GCN, @DISTGName
    END
    CLOSE gC
    DEALLOCATE gC
    select * from #ListOfUsers
  • A view can only consist of a single SELECT statement.  You cannot create tables, declare, open, close, deallocate, or fetch from cursors, execute dynamic sql, or declare variables.  You may want to make this a stored procedure instead.

In any case, you may want to look at getting rid of the CURSOR.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• You are correct, I know you can't declare variables in a view, I guess I should have said how to make this as a function or a SP and create a view based on that. 
    To get the result I needed, I created a job to insert the data into a table. So I am good. 
    As for using the cursor, can you please tell me why I need to get rid of it? I am getting the LDAP group names and looping through to get a list of users for each AD group. If you have a better way of doing it, please feel free to share an example. Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply