Create table from rows of a different table

• Hi to every ones,

I am new to this forum and to SQL world.

I need your help to find a solution for my headache, my question is:

I am using SQL SERVER 2012

I have the following table:

tbtab1

| A | B | C |

| 1 | Pluto | NULL |

| 2 | Pippo | NULL |

| 3 | Rossi | NULL |

I want to creare a new empy table with the columns name contained into the column B of the first table; the following shold my results:

tbtab2

| Pluto | Pippo | Rossi |

Colud you hel on this task?

Thanks

• rolinoberto (3/6/2015)

Hi to every ones,

I am new to this forum and to SQL world.

I need your help to find a solution for my headache, my question is:

I am using SQL SERVER 2012

I have the following table:

tbtab1

| A | B | C |

| 1 | Pluto | NULL |

| 2 | Pippo | NULL |

| 3 | Rossi | NULL |

I want to creare a new empy table with the columns name contained into the column B of the first table; the following shold my results:

tbtab2

| Pluto | Pippo | Rossi |

Colud you hel on this task?

Thanks

What should be the data types (varchar, int, bit etc) of the columns?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• The tbtab1 column B is TEXT

The new tbtab2 columns should be INT

• See if this gives you what you need.

if object_id('dbo.tab1', 'U') is not null

drop table dbo.tab1

create table dbo.tab1

(

a int primary key

,b text

)

insert dbo.tab1

(a, b)

values (1, 'Pluto'),

(2, 'Pippo'),

(3, 'Rossi')

select *

from dbo.tab1 t

declare @sql varchar(max) = '';

select @sql = concat(@sql, ',', b, ' int')

from dbo.tab1 t

set @sql = stuff(@sql, 1, 1, ' create table dbo.tab2 (') + ')'

select @sql

Nothing is created here, but @sql should contain the CREATE TABLE syntax you need.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• It is working fine, thanks.

now, my dubit is: how to use @sql content to create the new table?

Could you suggest some idea?

• Sure. Copy the text from the results grid, paste it into SSMS and execute it.

• Sorry, I means automatically within an application (Visual Basic 2012)

suppose I have an application, which is used to fill and use the information stored in a database, suppose (after a couple of months/later on) I add a new record into the tbtab1, which action need to be followed by adding the new row as a new column into the tbtab2.

Suppose I have a button into my application which is responsible to create (the first time I use the application) and update (all other next times) the new table tbtab2, how I can include the content of @sql into a stored procedure, for example, which can be called by the visual basic button?

Opfully my explanation is clear, it is not simple to show my idea

• rolinoberto (3/6/2015)

Sorry, I means automatically within an application (Visual Basic 2012)

suppose I have an application, which is used to fill and use the information stored in a database, suppose (after a couple of months/later on) I add a new record into the tbtab1, which action need to be followed by adding the new row as a new column into the tbtab2.

Suppose I have a button into my application which is responsible to create (the first time I use the application) and update (all other next times) the new table tbtab2, how I can include the content of @sql into a stored procedure, for example, which can be called by the visual basic button?

Opfully my explanation is clear, it is not simple to show my idea

Exec (@sql) will execute the code. However, this will work only once (when the table does not exist).

If you want to add another column (eg, Dumbo) to the table after it has been created, you'll need something like:

alter table dbo.tab2

add Dumbo int

• By chance, is there any reasonable limit of number of TBTAB2 columns needed for the period of the application life ?

Suppose max is 25 columns. Then create a table with max number of columns

CREATE TABLE zTBTAB2 (

i01 INT NULL,

i25 INT NULL)

and recreate VIEW TBTAB2 along with updating TBTAB1 in the application.

• If I add the following:

SELECT c.name AS ExistingColOnTab2

FROM sys.columns AS c

JOIN sys.types AS t ON c.user_type_id=t.user_type_id

WHERE c.object_id = OBJECT_ID('dbo.tab2')

GO

it shows the column's name already exist in the "tab2" table.

There is a way to join the result of code abow in order to execute the following line in the new temporary table, which should be containing the name string exept the existing ones.

DECLARE @C_additional varchar(max) = '';

SELECT @C_additional= CONCAT(@C_additional, ',', <NewColumnTemporaryTable>, ' int')

FROM dbo.temporarytable

set @C_additional = stuff(@C_additional, 1, 1, ' alter table dbo.tab2 add ')t

I am sorry in advance if I make a lot of confusion

• It has to be said: this is a very weird requirement. I would be interested to know why you are doing things this way – are you able to provide some background? But here goes ...

Building on my earlier code:

if object_id('dbo.tab1', 'U') is not null

drop table dbo.tab1;

if object_id('dbo.tab2', 'U') is not null

drop table dbo.tab2;

create table dbo.tab1

(

a int primary key

,b text

);

insert dbo.tab1

(a, b)

values (1, 'Pluto'),

(2, 'Pippo'),

(3, 'Rossi');

select *

from dbo.tab1 t;

declare @sql nvarchar(max) = '';

from dbo.tab1 t;

set @sql = stuff(@sql, 1, 1, ' create table dbo.tab2 (') + ')';

exec sys.sp_executesql

@sql;

--Add another row to tab1

insert dbo.tab1

(a, b)

values (4, 'Spock');

--Create the ALTER statement

set @sql = '';

from dbo.tab1 t

where not exists ( select 1

from sys.columns c

where c.object_id = object_id('dbo.tab2')

and c.name = cast(t.b as sysname) );

set @sql = stuff(@sql, 1, 1, 'alter table dbo.tab2 add ');

--Execute the ALTER

exec sys.sp_executesql

@sql;

select *

from dbo.tab2;

• rolinoberto (3/6/2015)

And what is going to happen if in a few years there are hundreds or thousands of rows that would need to be made into columns? I would think again about this design if I were you. You could be setting someone up for some major headaches in the future. Unless, of course, your business rules dictate there will never be more than a few rows needing to be transposed. But then again, those rules might change after you've moved on. Just my two cents.

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• First of all thanks ...

I have no problems to explain my intention. Hopefully you can continue to make suggestions.

I'm build the application using Visual Basic, myself. The new application is going to replace an excel format that we use for many years, which is filled with thousands of lines, but has just few columns. In the past it happened that we were forced to add 6 more columns into the excel table. It was easy, but ... what if we have to do the same with the new application?

The next step, once the new application is almost complete and installed in a PC for a test, will be to import all records from the Excel file, so we will have the story available in the new database.

The second reason to implement a stored procedure like this, is the reusability of this application to a different place, where the information to be stored are similar to mine, but the name of the columns should be different (in this case changing the rows into the fisrst table, only and using the <configuration button> will be easy to adapt the same application and database for a different place.

I hope that my colleagues will be happy to throw the excel file and use a real database system!

To imports the excel file to the new database, I know the existence of SQL BULK ... but that will be another story!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply