Create DTS package remotly

• We have server A and B. Installed some odbc drivers on B and trying to create DTS package on B from A but it is not showing the ODBC drivers installed on B. Is there any way to create?. Any help would be approciated.

Thanks.

• I don't think you can do it.  I've even tried use a Data Link file created with the ODBC dsn for a remote server and it didn't work.

I think because ODBC dsns are local on a machine, you have to be logged on to the machine to see and use them.

Greg

Greg

• The DTS Package Designer runs from the context of the computer it's running on. If running DTS designer on Server A, you can deploy it to Server B, but if you want to use ODBC DSNs, etc., you need to have the same ODBC driver and DSNs configured on Server A as on Server B.

Or, just use some sort of remote desktop software, like VMWare, DameWare Utilities, Remote Desktop, Terminal Services, etc., to run the DTS Package Designer on Server B.

Also, if Server A is SS2000, and Server B is SS7, any actions, etc., that are available in SS2000 won't be available in the package if you deploy it to the SS7 server.

And...

the package executes from the server you're running the DTS Pagkage designer from, even if the package is stored on Server B (or, if you're running it from MSDE, which has the stuff to manually create packages from VBA/VBScript, but not run the package designer, it'll run from THAT computer).

• More DTS fun stuff...

You could easily use a VBScript action to create your ODBC connections, store them in a DTS Global Variable, and then assign them as needed to whichever step needs them.

But, for better or worse (worse in this case), the actual instance naming of DTS Package objects is *NOT* clear. You may think you can refer to a step that you renamed "Execute Proc", but it's really invoked by something far less simple. Sorry I don't have any example code on the top of my head, but it's pretty gross. You should be able to find something through google, especially if you look for "VBA" +DTS...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply