create DNS with Native Client

• I have a small test box with SQL server 2000 and recently I have added SQL server 2005 instance for testing.

The 2000 server is on the default port, the SQL 2005 is on 1434.

I have problem creating DNS from a client machine with SQL Native Client. It always goes to the SQL 2000 server instance. If I use the old 2000 ODBC driver, then on the second screen I have a button that allows me to select a specific protocol and port number. But when I use SQL Native Client, this button is not available.

I have downloaded this SQL Native Client install from MS website.

Is there any work around for this problem?

Thanks a lot, mj

• check\verify in SQL Server Configuration Manager that client & Server protocol are configured correctly. Also at your surface are configration local & remote connection is enabled.

from sql server 2005 onwards there is no concepts of MDAC & every thing is in build with .NET Framework 1.\2.0\3.0 and is called SQL Native CLient. Same is also available when you configure user\System DSN from Data Source ODBC.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks a lot, but unfortunately, the server is correctly configured... Both TCPIP on server and client. Also, in the Surface Area, both Remote and Local connection, TCPIP and Named Pipes are configured.

I also tried creating DNA on other 2005 server that is the only one on the box, and I still do not see the button on the second screen when using Native Client.

Any other idea?

Thanks a lot, mj

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply