Create DB, Add Data Only

• Hi, Brand new at this and I have a question.

We're moving from SQL Server 08 R2 to a completely new SQL environment (SQL Server 2012 R2). As the previous server has probably had 15 sets of hands in it over the past 10 years, we'd like to start fresh. We have a vendor DB that is used constantly and is pretty high profile. We'd prefer not to export/import the old one with all the associated permissions as we're bringing the accounts and logins into compliance with our environment (naming convention, least privilage, etc). What I'm planning to do is create a new DB on the new server and import that data ONLY from the old to the new and create accounts / set permissions from there.

Does this make sense or is there an easier way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help!

• when you copy pieces, it's so easy to overlook something that was required.

there's always one mor ething that got overlooked, and turns into a constant trickle of research.

i lean more towards backup-restore and then start deleting and dropping data/objects/permissions;

i think it's a little easier to remove things i findi don't want, than to hunt down and findthings i do want.

what is left standing after a massive hack and slash is what i'd like fo rthe finished product.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell, I'm working through removing and creating accounts, etc, now.

• Just an update, got this working fine. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply