Create batch file to selectively run SQL files

• I have about 1200 sql files in one of my folders. Almost all of these files do data inserts and updates, so they should be run only once. As and when required I have manually ran around 150 of them already. Whenever I ran any of these scripts, I log that file name into a log table in my sql server including the execution time. Since running 1000+ more files takes a lot of time, I want to automate running of these files through a batch file. But I also want to filter the files that are already run.

My file list looks like follows.

InsertToOrderTypes.sql

UpdateClientAddress.sql

DeleteDuplicateOrders.sql

InsertToEmailAddress.sql

ConsolidateBrokerData.sql

UpdateInventory.sql

EliminateInvalidOfficeLocations.sql

My log table in the database looks like this.

select * from sqlfileexecutionlog

FileNameRunTimeResult

---------------------

DeleteDuplicateOrders.sql03/12/2014 14:23:45:091Success

UpdateInventory.sql04/06/2014 08:44:17:176Success

Now I want to create a batch file to run the remaining files from my directory to my sql server. I also want to wrap each of these sql file executions in a transaction and log success/failure along with the runtime and filename into sqlfileexecutionlog table. As I add new sql files into this directory, I should be able to run the same batch file and execute only the sql files that have not bee run.

It will be great if someone can give me inputs or sample code to achieve this via regular command shell as well as powershell.

• SQLCurious (4/24/2014)

I have about 1200 sql files in one of my folders. Almost all of these files do data inserts and updates, so they should be run only once. As and when required I have manually ran around 150 of them already. Whenever I ran any of these scripts, I log that file name into a log table in my sql server including the execution time. Since running 1000+ more files takes a lot of time, I want to automate running of these files through a batch file. But I also want to filter the files that are already run.

I am just wondering whether this is the right approach, looks to me as both error prone and very time consuming. Have you looked into implementing this in a SSIS package/framework? If the content of the files are loaded into a "command" table, a single package could run all the scripts and utilize the logging framework in SSIS.

😎

• This should work if you run it from the folder where your files are, quick and dirty:

for %%R in (*.sql) do sqlcmd -i "%%R" -S {server_name} -U {user} -P {pwd} -d {db_name}

This won't stop on any errors, but you can add some handling.

• Well try this one i am not sure what you want do

but to my best

Create a Dos batch file using the following batch script

ECHO :ON ERROR Exit>>"All in one Script.sql"

Echo PRINT 'Start $Sec$: ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR,GETDATE(),108)>>"All in one Script.sql"

Echo :setvar path %0>>"All in one Script.sql"

for /r . %%f in (*.sql) do call :ACTION "%%~nxf"

goto END

:ACTION

echo. >>"All in one Script.sql"

echo :r $(path)"\%~1">>"All in one Script.sql"

echo GO >>"All in one Script.sql"

echo PRINT '[%~1] Completed Successfully - $Sec$: ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR,GETDATE(),108)>>"All in one Script.sql"

echo GO >>"All in one Script.sql"

echo. >>"All in one Script.sql"

:END

the above code loop through all the sql files, if you want do any changes for a single file code use the action block

just paste the batch file inside the folder and run it or just pass the folder as a parameter

it just prepare a Sql command mode script file you need to verify it before you run it

Every rule in a world of bits and bytes, can be bend or eventually be broken
    MyBlog About Common dialog control
    A Visualizer for viewing SqlCommand object script [/url]

• Thanks for all your inputs and suggestions. I will work towards implementing this in SSIS which seems to have better control. I appreciate everyone's time and effort in providing valuable suggestions.

• SQLCurious (4/28/2014)

Thanks for all your inputs and suggestions. I will work towards implementing this in SSIS which seems to have better control. I appreciate everyone's time and effort in providing valuable suggestions.

Let us know if you need help with the SSIS implementation, there are quite a few samples available.

😎

• It will be great if you can provide me some :). I am also looking for a framework which can be generally used to logging the execution results (time taken, success, failure, rowcounts etc.,) for each of the packages executed. Once it is setup, I would like it to be reused for any additional packages I may be adding in future. I would grately appreciate if you can provide me with such examples.

• I'll dig into it and let you know. Certain I have something and probably there are others that have similar, lets hope they share:-P

😎

• Why are you running code from files, instead of having the code in stored procedures, then executing the stored procedures. Is there an advantage to files ?

• These are mostly for one-time deployment. I wouldn't be reusing them at all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply