Create And Schedule A SQLAgent Job From TSQL

• I'd like to build a TSQL stored procedure that sets up a SQL Agent job, creating the steps, scheduling etc.

Has anyone done this and knows of any 'gotchas' I need to prepare for. Even better could anyone help with a ready-rolled sp. (OK I know I'm lazy, anything to save time).

We use SQLServer version 7 in production (we're still UATing our apps on 2000)

Much gratitude in advance

I have found it is possible to please all of the people all of the time if you do exactly what they want. Harold Macmillan 1961

I have found it is possible to please all of the people all of the time if you do exactly what they want. Harold Macmillan 1961

• Look at the system stored procedures:

• sp_add_job
    • sp_add_jobstep
    • sp_add_jobschedule

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks Brian

I'd sussed those procs, I was really after any known Gotcha's.

Well let's be brutally honest I was hoping that someone had a ready-rolled proc I could clone, why re-invent the wheel? (Or rather why think when someone else can do it?)

We've built the proc now, basically it cycles round a table which contains one record for each line of the script and invoke the add step etc.

• I would create the jobs with EM, script it and then create a master sp with all the job SPs included. You should change all the variables that you want to specify to your sp.

• Hi ,

I tried to use

• sp_add_job
  • sp_add_jobstep
  • sp_add_jobschedule
  • But got an error saying the procs could not be found.

Anybody got any clues? I am using SqlServer 2000

Bastiaan Oelrich

• I found the solution to the problem above myself. I thought the system stored procedures would be located in master db, but these are located in msdb db

Bastiaan

• Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply