Create an Empty Database from Original Database

• Is there any way to create an Empty database with the same structure & everything but without data from the specified Original Database automatically?

Thanks a lot.

• No, but you could script the entire db and rerun the script in a new db. Pretty simple.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• quote:

No, but you could script the entire db and rerun the script in a new db. Pretty simple.

Steve Jones

It may work if the stored procedures & triggers, views, functions are not encrypted, but if so, how can script out these things?

• quote:

No, but you could script the entire db and rerun the script in a new db. Pretty simple.

Steve Jones

good idea

i work hard to finish my dream.

• One option you have as long as you are sure the encrypted items do not use the 3 or 4 part name to reference objects (server.db.owner.object or db.owner.object) is this. All DBs are based on the template of the model db in the SQL install. If you could use the copy objects wizard to copy the items into model without the data. Thus you now have a template DB without data and all the objects. I am sure you may run into some issue so test into a blank DB before trying into model to make sure of all the things you have to do to be successful. I would also go ahead and set DBOptions and filegrowth options in model unless these may always vary.

• One comment about scripting, if the model has already been modified with additional tables/procs your new db will have that stuff PLUS whatever you add to it. If you want exactly the same objects as the one you're copying from, you may need to drop objects as well.

If you're not sure which objects you need to copy and you have more than a few, you should consider a diff tool. I use SQL Compare, there are others.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• If you truly want to have a db with no data you should be able to restore a db to a new db, with the data, and run a script like this:

use xyz_db

go

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @table_nm VARCHAR(40),

@cmd VARCHAR(500)

SELECT name

INTO #temp

FROM sysobjects

WHERE type = 'U'

ORDER BY name

WHILE EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM #temp)

begin

SET ROWCOUNT 1

SELECT @cmd = 'TRUNCATE TABLE ' + name, @table_nm = name FROM #temp ORDER BY name

SET ROWCOUNT 0

PRINT 'SP_EXECUTESQL @stmt = ' + @cmd

SP_EXECUTESQL @stmt = @cmd

DELETE FROM #temp WHERE name = @table_nm

end

go

DROP TABLE #temp

go

Jeff

• But would this bypass the foreign key constraints?

Edited by - tgrignon@compusense.com on 12/23/2002 1:38:50 PM

• Can you see my red face?

You are quite right. A TRUNCATE TABLE would hit the FKs. It only side steps the triggers. The other option would be to write a script to delete any FKs before the truncate and put them back after (too bad you can't disable them for deletes). If I were to do this I would probably hack some code out of the sp_foreignkeys stored proc to build the FK creation script since you, no doubt, will be getting into compound column references.

The other option would be to do deletes. The issue here is that you will hit any delete triggers, you have to think about log issues and it will probably be slow. Here is the code (working up the constraint hierarchy) if you take this approach:

USE xyz_db

go

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @table_nm VARCHAR(256),

@cmd NVARCHAR(500),

@delete_stmt CHAR(11),

@delete_ord INT,

@row_cnt INT

CREATE TABLE #table (

id INT NOT NULL,

name VARCHAR(256) NOT NULL,

delete_ord INT NULL )

SELECT @delete_ord = 1, @row_cnt = 1, @delete_stmt = 'DELETE FROM'

-- get all of the tables that aren't referenced

INSERT INTO #table

SELECT so.id,

so.name,

FROM sysobjects so

WHERE so.type = 'U'

AND NOT EXISTS (

SELECT 1

FROM sysreferences sr

WHERE sr.rkeyid = so.id)

-- work through the remaining tables working your way up the constraint hierarchy

WHILE @row_cnt > 0

begin

SELECT @delete_ord = @delete_ord + 1

INSERT INTO #table

SELECT so.id,

so.name,

@delete_ord

FROM sysobjects so

WHERE so.type = 'U'

AND NOT EXISTS (

SELECT 1

FROM #table t1

WHERE t1.id = so.id )

AND EXISTS (

SELECT 1

FROM sysreferences sr,

#table t2

WHERE t2.id = sr.fkeyid

AND sr.rkeyid = so.id)

SELECT @row_cnt = @@rowcount

end

SELECT @delete_ord = @delete_ord + 1

-- catch any remaining tables

INSERT INTO #table

SELECT so.id,

so.name,

@delete_ord

FROM sysobjects so

WHERE so.type = 'U'

AND NOT EXISTS (

SELECT 1

FROM #table t1

WHERE t1.id = so.id )

-- start deleting data

WHILE EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM #table)

begin

-- get a table to delete data from (starting with the child tables)

SET ROWCOUNT 1

SELECT @cmd = @delete_stmt + ' ' + name, @table_nm = name FROM #table ORDER BY delete_ord, name

-- delete the data in batches of 5000 so as not to overload the logs

SET ROWCOUNT 5000

SELECT 'SP_EXECUTESQL @stmt = ' + @cmd

WHILE @@rowcount > 0

begin

EXECUTE SP_EXECUTESQL @stmt = @cmd

end

-- delete the table just processed

DELETE FROM #table WHERE name = @table_nm

end

DROP TABLE #table

go

• Are you creating this new database on the same server...or a server available to DTS? Would it be possible to perform a DTS export and just not copy the data? Perhaps I am missing the point.

• guarddata you're correct, that would be the simplest way to do it. Even if you want to create the empty database on another server... create the empty one locally and then run a full database backup on it. You can then transport this backup file to where ever you like and restore it on to the sql server

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply