Crazy & Confused - Phantom Job Failure

• Well,

This is what you might call an undocumented feature, i.e. an unrepeatable bug!

We have a job that runs nightly, loading data from a staging area into another database, standard stuff. The last step in this job executes a stored proc which iterates through a list of selections waiting to be made on the data just loaded.

This is (or more correctly was) a well bedded process. However, over the past month this last step in the job had had cause to fail from time to time. There is no hint in the log as to why it has failed... see except below.

Executed as user: NOP\service. ...lue is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153)  4077 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0)  Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153)  4078 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0)  Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153)  Creating Time Driven Events [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0)  4079 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0)  Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153)  4080 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0)  Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153)  4081 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0)  Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153)  4082 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 0)  Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation....  The step failed.

More annoyingly, if I roll this step back and re-run it in ISQL, it works perfectly!!! Therefore I've come to the conclusion that it must be the step in the job failing, not the actual SQL but I can't find anything that might back up my hypothesis... has anyone else out there been unlucky enough to experience this phenomenon!!??

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Perhaps the answer can be found here:

http://www.dbtalk.net/microsoft-public-sqlserver-programming/sql-server-agent-job-failed-217213.html

Perhaps ISQL/OSQL uses different SET-statements and there IS a problem within one of the procedures.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply