Cranky Curmudgeons

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Yes, I am cranky.  Because I am tired of being the guy with the shovel and broom who walks behind the horses in the parade.

wait - ???? you get a shovel and a broom?

And it's only horses, not elephants.

Yeah, but some days they have the runs!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• From the article:

Further, because we’re aging, we’re not ready to embrace all the wonderful new technologies that are clearly superior in every possible way.

I know I responded before but I did a reread and when I saw the above from the article, I laughed out loud and thought "BWAAA-HAAA-HAAA!!! Hear that everyone?  That is the sound of a very clever old man setting a trap that'll snap your pickup in two when you spring it!"

Well done, Grant! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yes, I a cranky curmudgeon, and proud of it.  I earned it the hard way.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 wrote:

Yes, I a cranky curmudgeon, and proud of it.  I earned it the hard way.

I'm not as old as you are, Rick, but Roger that and ditto that. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I read a wonderful book "A man called Ove" filmed as "A man called Otto" starring Tom Hanks.  Read the book.  Ove is the GOAT of cranky curmudgeons.  The start of the book is hard to get into but after the 1st couple of chapters you begin to realise why Ove is a Cranky Curmudgeon.  As the book unfurls you slowly realise why people value and love this old man who seems so unlovable.  Tom Hanks did a good job and it is relatively true to the book but the book is richer and deeper.

I'd like to think that DBAs have the same sort of crankiness driven for much the same reasons, but without the tragedy.

• I have a shirt that says:

"I'm a cranky old man.  I do WHAT I want WHEN I want WHERE I want.  Just one sec, I'll ask my wife".

You can guess who gave me the shirt.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• David.Poole wrote:

I read a wonderful book "A man called Ove" filmed as "A man called Otto" starring Tom Hanks.  Read the book.  Ove is the GOAT of cranky curmudgeons.  The start of the book is hard to get into but after the 1st couple of chapters you begin to realise why Ove is a Cranky Curmudgeon.  As the book unfurls you slowly realise why people value and love this old man who seems so unlovable.  Tom Hanks did a good job and it is relatively true to the book but the book is richer and deeper.

I'd like to think that DBAs have the same sort of crankiness driven for much the same reasons, but without the tragedy.

I just watched the short section about him in the hardware store and the "5 feet of rope" thing just to get a feel for the movie.  From that section, it seems that movie is about me.  😀  Not sure I could watch the whole thing.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply