CPU Upgrades

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item CPU Upgrades

• I just recently updated my home desktop.  I thought to myself that I just needed a new CPU to upgrade to Windows 11.  Which as you mentioned required a new motherboard and memory.  Then I thought to myself might as well get a new video card which meant a new power supply to support that monstrosity...then I might as well upgrade my SSD since I'd have to reinstall the OS.  When all was said and done the only part I hadn't replaced was the case itself. lol

Oh well, such is life...I'm just glad I don't deal with hardware at work.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• That almost happened to me the last time. I kept some storage, but got a new NVMe one for boot. Other than that, MB, RAM, CPU, Video all replaced.  🙁

• For personal use at least, I feel like CPUs have been 'good enough' for some years. My desktop still has an i5-2500k from 2011, and my laptop has a i3 10300h - 9 generations newer. The laptop is noticably snappier when it comes to loading apps - but we're talking saving a second or so here and there depending on the app. Storage is still the main bottleneck - and the laptop has a nice PCI-E SSD vs SATA3 on the desktop, making up much of the difference I expect.

The hardware nerd inside would like to upgrade for the sake of it, but at this point I'm more interested in seeing how long it lasts!

https://sqlrider.net - My technical blog

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply