Countermeasure to stop forum spam bots

• There is a lot of spam from time to time. Is it possible to add better defense when register new accounts?

• jonas.gunnarsson 52434 wrote:

There is a lot of spam from time to time. Is it possible to add better defense when register new accounts?

I agree... but we've (us frequent users/posters) been asking the same question for more than a decade.  I wouldn't expect much action in the area of prevention from new accounts.  If you think about it, those new accounts, even though of a one-time-use by spammers, used to be a part of the "membership" counts they advertised.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Is there possible to upgrade reCAPTCHA  to version v3? I guess the WordPress is last version. Do the forum use a spam mod?

If low score maybe no post for a short time?

May be limit to only one post, until reply on post or marked as spam.

• As an addition to Jonas' idea perhaps the reply needs to come from an account that has existed for a certain length of time and/or has a certain number of posts. That would stop them creating two spam accounts and using each to validate the other one?

I appreciate this may not be practical or possible to implement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply