Could not allocate space for object 'patient' in database 'DMART' because the 'FG2' filegroup is full..

• I'm out of ideas here. When I was first alerted to this situation on a legacy SQL 2000 box I inherited, I found that the data files on it had auto-growth turned off. I turned it on for 2 additional data files, with 500MB increment for auto growth. We then attempted the same data load process that generated that error and got the same thing. I grew the files manually so that the file in the file group in question now has 4.1G free but I still get the same error.

The disk has about 100G free on it. Al files are stored on the same LUN and the DB is online and working.

I also tried to shrinkfile and empty that extra filegroup, but I got a variation of the same thing:

Msg 1105, Level 17, State 2, Line 1

Could not allocate space for object 'rxRej_Excep' in database 'DMART_MACAID' because the 'FG2' filegroup is full.

CheckDB and CheckFileGroup yielded no errors. UpdateUsage on this DB made a lot of updates, as no regular maintenance is scheduled, but it made no difference in the errors.

I have run out of ideas on this one.

namefileidfilegroupsizemaxsizegrowthusage

DMART 1PRIMARY458037248 KBUnlimited2097152 KBdata only

DMART_log 2NULL504 KBUnlimited102400 KBlog only

DMART_Data2 3PRIMARY26624000 KBUnlimited512000 KBdata only

FG2Data 4FG226624000 KBUnlimited512000 KBdata only

I plan to bounce the server this evening, to see if that makes a difference. I tried just taking it offline and bringing it back on but it had no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• Bouncing the server made no difference. Still the same error. I am testing with

DBCC ShrinkFile(FG2Data, EmptyFile)

rather than attempting the data load every time.

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• A real longshot.

If you back it up and restore to a new named database (leave the original alone) on the same server, same instance same disk, but different folder, will it let you insert a few thousand lines into a new table.

To me it sounds like the area where it keeps its definitions about the database has got corrupt somehow

Wayne

Wayne

Did you get access denied? Great the security works.

• That's my suspicion, that the file group was corrupted somehow and DBCC doesn't catch the problem. My fix for this was to script out each table on that file group and recreate on the Primary file group then copy all of the data over and rename the tables. The data loads to the new tables went well and I'm getting ready to drop the old table and remove that file group once it is empty.

Thanks,

Chris

• Ouch!

Wayne

Did you get access denied? Great the security works.

• It worked. Once I copied all tables over to the primary files group I dropped the old tables and then that file, from the DB In the primary file group it is able to expand as needed.

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply