Could almost be a poll... BEST way to implement "INSERT xxx WHERE NOT already EXISTS" in SSIS 2005

• I'm currently experiencing some blocking issues with "OpenRowset Using FastLoad". I think it's because I'm referencing the destination table in the Source object thusly:

SELECT

FROM

SomeLegitSource q

LEFT JOIN

MyBlockyTable m ON m.[someid] = q.[id]

WHERE

m.nonnullablecol IS NULL

... where "MyBlockyTable" is the destination table.

Taking a step back... what IS considered the Best Practice for this situation in SSIS 2005? Basically, how to best handle the age-old issue of "INSERT ... WHERE NOT EXISTS already"

I did some searching, but found myriad viewpoints and nothing definitive. SQL Server Destination object is not an option in our environment.

Thanks in advance SSC!

• The left join usually is the best way to handle that. It can also help in some cases to pull the data into a temp table, and then left join to that, in separate transactions.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I agree with GSquared in that, if the UPDATE is the only thing you're doing, one or two SQL statements could be used for this.

If you need to include this as part of a larger ETL operation, you can use the Lookup Transformation. This will evaluate your in-memory results against a lookup table and will branch the output into records that were matched on the lookup condition and those that were unmatched (the latter of which will be sent to the Error Output). You could then send those errored (unmatched) rows to your destination table.

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply