Cost For Implicit Conversion of Datetime to/from Smalldatetime?

• I wanted to find out if there is any overhead involved in a possible implicit conversion if I compare a datetime and a smalldatetime. I think I've shown

• Comparing a character date and a datetime or smalldatetime date does cause an implicit convert
  • Comparing a datetime and a smalldatetime does NOT cause an implicit convert
  • ALSO it LOOKS like the implicit convert had no overhead (at least in the tested case)
  • Can anyone confirm or refute my logic and/or conclusions?

The process:

I created a temp table and populated it using my calendar table. The calendar table contains 1 row for each day from 1/1/1980 to 1/1/2079:

create table #implicit (cDate char(8),dtDate datetime,sdtDate smalldatetime)

insert into #implicit select convert(char(8),datege,112),datege,datege from mylibrary.dbo.calendardst

Temp table #implicit now contains 36161 rows. Then I fired up profiler and noodled around to only show my spid-- and ran the 3 queries shown below to see if a smalldatetime/datetime comparison causes an implicit convert.

The queries compare

• character date to datetime date
  • character date to smalldatetime date
  • datetime date to smalldatetime date
  • QUERY: select case when cdate = dtdate then 'c eq dt' else 'c ne dt' end comp1 from #implicit

StmtText StmtId NodeId Parent PhysicalOp LogicalOp Argument DefinedValues EstimateRows EstimateIO EstimateCPU AvgRowSize TotalSubtreeCost OutputList Warnings Type Parallel EstimateExecutions

-------- ------ ------ ------ ---------- --------- -------- ------------- ------------ ---------- ----------- ---------- ---------------- ---------- -------- ---- -------- ------------------

Compute Scalar(DEFINE: ([Expr1004]=CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT(datetime,[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate],0)=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate] THEN 'c eq dt' ELSE 'c ne dt' END)) 0 0 Compute Scalar Compute Scalar DEFINE: ([Expr1004]=CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT(datetime,[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate],0)=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate] THEN 'c eq dt' ELSE 'c ne dt' END) [Expr1004]=CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT(datetime,[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate],0)=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate] THEN 'c eq dt' ELSE 'c ne dt' END 36161 0 0.0036161 14 0.142231 [Expr1004] PLAN_ROW 0 1

|--Table Scan(OBJECT: ([tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit])) 0 1 0 Table Scan Table Scan OBJECT:([tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit]) [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate], [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate] 36161 0.0987591 0.0398556 23 0.138615 [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate], [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate] PLAN_ROW 0 1

QUERY: select case when cdate = sdtdate then 'c eq sdt' else 'c ne sdt' end comp2 from #implicit

StmtText StmtId NodeId Parent PhysicalOp LogicalOp Argument DefinedValues EstimateRows EstimateIO EstimateCPU AvgRowSize TotalSubtreeCost OutputList Warnings Type Parallel EstimateExecutions

-------- ------ ------ ------ ---------- --------- -------- ------------- ------------ ---------- ----------- ---------- ---------------- ---------- -------- ---- -------- ------------------

Compute Scalar(DEFINE: ([Expr1004]=CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT(smalldatetime,[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate],0)=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] THEN 'c eq sdt' ELSE 'c ne sdt' END)) 0 0 Compute Scalar Compute Scalar DEFINE: ([Expr1004]=CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT(smalldatetime,[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate],0)=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] THEN 'c eq sdt' ELSE 'c ne sdt' END) [Expr1004]=CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT(smalldatetime,[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate],0)=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] THEN 'c eq sdt' ELSE 'c ne sdt' END 36161 0 0.0036161 15 0.142231 [Expr1004] PLAN_ROW 0 1

|--Table Scan(OBJECT: ([tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit])) 0 1 0 Table Scan Table Scan OBJECT:([tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit]) [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate], [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] 36161 0.0987591 0.0398556 19 0.138615 [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[cDate], [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] PLAN_ROW 0 1

QUERY: select case when dtdate = sdtdate then 'dt eq sdt' else 'dt ne sdt' end comp3 from #implicit

Compute Scalar(DEFINE: ([Expr1004]=CASE WHEN [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate]=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] THEN 'dt eq sdt' ELSE 'dt ne sdt' END)) 0 0 Compute Scalar Compute Scalar DEFINE: ([Expr1004]=CASE WHEN [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate]=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] THEN 'dt eq sdt' ELSE 'dt ne sdt' END) [Expr1004]=CASE WHEN [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate]=[tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] THEN 'dt eq sdt' ELSE 'dt ne sdt' END 36161 0 0.0036161 15 0.142231 [Expr1004] PLAN_ROW 0 1

|--Table Scan(OBJECT: ([tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit])) 0 1 0 Table Scan Table Scan OBJECT:([tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit]) [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate], [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] 36161 0.0987591 0.0398556 19 0.138615 [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[dtDate], [tempdb].[dbo].[#implicit].[sdtDate] PLAN_ROW 0 1

Cursors are useful if you don't know SQL

• Unfortunately your tests are quite fair. You need to have an index on a column so that you see if the implicit conversion causes a problem or not. You had nothing but table scans, so yes, it didn't affect performance. See if you get a problem when you have an index seek on a comparison without a conversion and then see if the implicit conversion causes a problem then (it frequently does, but not always, hence testing, which you're doing well already).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Grant-- thanks for the quick reply. (I think you meant "Unfortunately your tests are NOT quite fair")

Point taken regarding indexing. Let me ask a smaller question: The query plan shows "...CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT..." on the first 2 queries but not on the third... so that pretty much clears use of smalldatetime and datetime in comparisons, doesn't it?

Cursors are useful if you don't know SQL

• mstjean (2/17/2011)

Hi Grant-- thanks for the quick reply. (I think you meant "Unfortunately your tests are NOT quite fair")

Point taken regarding indexing. Let me ask a smaller question: The query plan shows "...CASE WHEN CONVERT_IMPLICIT..." on the first 2 queries but not on the third... so that pretty much clears use of smalldatetime and datetime in comparisons, doesn't it?

In that instance yes. It really depends on the values used. I've seen implicit conversions between smalldatetime & datetime.

And yeah, that was a typo, glad you caught it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply