Cost effective VPN solution for AWS with MFA

• Hi,

I've recently setup VPN on our AWS account and had my AWS bill go up by $200.  It appears that you pay for it even when nobody uses it.  You can't stop it like EC2 instance.

I found this article:

https://medium.com/aws-factory/schedule-your-aws-client-vpn-endpoint-and-reduce-costs-f68d8729bade

It says you can automate the removal of VPN configuration and re-creation it as needed.  It is a bit complicated.  Are there any other options? Like from 3rd party vendors which would allow cost effective VPN solution for infrequent use?  We use it few times a month with only 2-3 users primarily to RDP to our AWS instances.

Thanks.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Roust_m wrote:

Hi,

I've recently setup VPN on our AWS account and had my AWS bill go up by $200.  It appears that you pay for it even when nobody uses it.  You can't stop it like EC2 instance.

I found this article:

https://medium.com/aws-factory/schedule-your-aws-client-vpn-endpoint-and-reduce-costs-f68d8729bade

It says you can automate the removal of VPN configuration and re-creation it as needed.  It is a bit complicated.  Are there any other options? Like from 3rd party vendors which would allow cost effective VPN solution for infrequent use?  We use it few times a month with only 2-3 users primarily to RDP to our AWS instances.

Thanks.

I have no idea about the VPN part of that but thought I'd provide another "warning" about another issue with AWS RDS... wait until you want to try to restore a single database.  Unless they've made a change, I believe you'll find that a single database cannot be restored and that it will be the entire instance that gets restored.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply