Correct permissions for maintenance plans?

• I have seen others complain of this, and now have experienced the joy myself:

I have SSMS running on my workstation from which I administer a remote server. If I create a maintenance plan ON the remote server's SSMS using remote control software, then it works. However, if I create a maintenance plan using my copy of SSMS connected to the server, then it fails. The accounts that wind up as owners of the SSIS package that gets created are different -- the successful one is a local account on the box, and the remote one is a domain user. However, the domain user has both admin rights to the machine and sysadmin role within SQL Server.

The closest I've been able to come is an error indicating that the SQL Server Agent issues an error that it cannot load the package created remotely, while it can (obviously) load the one created locally.

Anyone else encountered this? What button do I push? 🙂

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I ran into this also when starting creating SSIS jobs (never done DTS before). I'd get mysterious errors of different sorts, but mostly the job just plain wouldn't run under SQL Agent. Some of the problems were, DSNs that didn't exist on the server, saved passwords with a key in SSIS, (me running SP1 on my local studio and 2005 original on the server). Even being aware of most of these problems, new ones and mysterious ones would present themselves every time, to the point of me panicing when I need something fixed now.

I ended up always creating the packages on the SQL 2005 server, always saving to MSDB store on that server, with server controlled permissions. Haven't had a problem since.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply