Correct CASE

• What is the proper way to write this CASE scenario. What I am trying to do is select the value from one column (in posted table), unless its NULL then select it from another column(the transaction table).

(CASE dbo.TableName.MReading

WHEN NOT NULL THEN SELECT dbo.TableName.MReading

WHEN NULL THEN SELECT dbo.TableName.MReading WHERE dbo.TableName.MGUID = dbo.TableName.MGUID

END)AS CurrentReading,

Thanks!

• Try:

SELECT
    CASE
    WHEN dbo.PostedTable.MReading IS NULL THEN
    )
    SELECT dbo.TransactionTable.MReading
    FROM dbo.TransactionTable
    WHERE dbo.PostedTable.MGUID = dbo.TransactionTable.MGUID
    )
    ELSE dbo.PostedTable.MReading
    END
    FROM dbo.PostedTable

although it is probably more efficient to do:

SELECT ISNULL(p.MReading, t.MReading)
    FROM PostedTable p
    INNER JOIN TransactionTable t
    ON p.MGUID = t.MGUID

or this, depending on your design:

SELECT ISNULL(p.MReading, t.MReading)
    FROM TransactionTable t
    LEFT JOIN PostedTable p
    ON p.MGUID = t.MGUID
  • Thanks jpipes,

I agree, after my post I tried the ISNULL function which WOULD be more efficient in this case. It gives me back what I expect.

Thanks again,

Chris

• Possible COALSCE might be slightly faster than ISNULL. Even if it is not, it does support more than than just two columns. Here is an example:

create table x (row int, a char, b char, c char)

insert into x(row,c) values(1,'c')

insert into x(row,b,c) values (2,'b','c')

insert into x(row, a,b,c) values (3,'a','b','c')

select row, COALESCE(a,b,c) from x

drop table x

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• IsNull and COALSCE are te same except for the number of options supported.

• Thanks guys for your input.

I must try the COALSCE, I'm sure in the past I have been making things more difficult for myself than need be.

Thanks again!

• Good gracious, I don't think I've ever seen the word coalesce spelled incorrectly by so many people so many times...

• Oops, I copy and pasted it myself, and I thought something looked odd.

Slooowww dowwwnnn!

Have a great day guys!

• Same here, copy and paste.

Just didn't catch it as was busy with something else at the same time.

• Ok, I have to confess I spelled it wrong first, but the word just doesn't seem to be one that is part of my everyday communication.

Sure is amazing what cut/paste can accomplish and the trouble it can cause. This might be kind of like clicking yes to the license agreements without even reading them. Ok how many of you actually read those license agreements?

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• quote:

Sure is amazing what cut/paste can accomplish and the trouble it can cause. This might be kind of like clicking yes to the license agreements without even reading them. Ok how many of you actually read those license agreements?

Who cares if you read 'em anyway. They can change the next day and as long as they are posted you are bound to them anyway. So unless you read 'em daily you ain't read 'em

• quote:

IsNull and COALSCE are te same except for the number of options supported.

COALESCE is ANSI standard while IsNull is specific to T-SQL. This is an issue in environments that do or might support multiple DB vendors.

Greg,

I recently (accidentally) ran the same query twice; once with IsNull and the other with Coalesce and was suprised that the IsNull version was quite a bit faster (4:1). I would have thought that they would have been essentially the same speed.

I was going to follow-up on this to see if there was any real performance impact but was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

Steve Hendricks

MCSD, MCDBA

AFS Consulting Group

shendricks@afsconsulting.com

(949) 588-9800 x15

Steve Hendricks
    MCSD, MCDBA
    Data Matrix

(949) 588-9800 x15

• Here is the test I ran, where I thought it COALESCE might be slightly faster. Not the most scientific test, since I only used elapsed time. By the way I ran this on a standalone workstation. How did you do you performance testing?:

create table x (row int, a char, b char)

insert into x(row,b) values(1,'b')

insert into x(row,b) values (2,'b')

insert into x(row, a,b) values (3,'a','b')

declare @i int

declare @s-2 datetime

declare @C char

set @i = 0

set @s-2 = getdate()

while @I < 10000

begin

select @C=COALESCE(a,b) from x

set @i = @i + 1

end

print 'COALESCE ran for ' + cast(datediff(ms,@s,getdate()) as char)

set @i = 0

set @s-2 = getdate()

while @I < 10000

begin

select @C=isnull(a,b) from x

set @i = @i + 1

end

print 'ISNULL ran for ' + cast(datediff(ms,@s,getdate()) as char)

drop table x

Here is the output I got:

First Run:

COALESCE ran for 546

ISNULL ran for 576

Second Run:

COALESCE ran for 483

ISNULL ran for 533

Third Run:

COALESCE ran for 483

ISNULL ran for 516

Forth Run:

COALESCE ran for 500

ISNULL ran for 530

Gregory Larsen, DBA

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• My results were strictly anecdotal. I had two different versions of the same script; the difference being that IsNull was replaced with COALESCE. We had decided to make our scripts more portable by using as few T-SQL specifics as convenient.

I had mistakenly used the older version, saw the IsNull's being used and then converted to the newer script. I was surprised by the results so I ran the COALESCE script first and then the IsNull script, thinking that perhaps the state of the data buffer was giving an advantage to one over the other.

At that point I made a mental note to look at this "sometime" and went about the task at hand. Your earlier response triggered my memory.

It still seems odd that your resiults show COALESCE being faster than IsNull. I would have thought that, if anything, IsNull might be slightly faster since there are a static number of parameters.

Live and learn...

Steve Hendricks

MCSD, MCDBA

AFS Consulting Group

(949) 588-9800 x15

Steve Hendricks
    MCSD, MCDBA
    Data Matrix

(949) 588-9800 x15

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply