Copying DTS Packages to another server

• I can successfully "Save as..." to another server. However, if I try to open the package on the target server, I get:

"Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package

Error Description: The system cannot find the file specified"

I have looked in the MSDB database of the target server to see if it is in the sysdtspackages table and it is there. But for some reason I can't pull it up. I also tried copying the .dts version of the package to the server and clicking "open package...", but that didn't work either. I get the same error.

Maybe I'm missing something simple here. Please help a newbie. Thanks!!

• I don't know if it is a permissions issue or not but you might check user permissions. You can always save your package as a structured storage file and then open it in the other server and save it locally there...

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• A DBA that I know had to build himself a small VB app to perform this operation. It changes the target server and database programmatically. Unfortunately I don't have access to the source code so I can't give you any more detail than that.

At least you know you haven't made a stupid mistake!

• I don't know why copying the .dts file didn't work. It's always worked for me, though it's slow and cumbersome.

Look at http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?6,105,204,0,1 for some ideas on transferring dts packages from server to server.

The same site (sqldts.com) has a great freeware utility, DTSBackup 2000, that

I always use if I have more than a couple packages to copy.

If you're on SQL7, there's another DTS backup utility on sqldts.com that works on 7 (I'm not sure if DTSBackup2000 works on SQL7).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• There may be a problem if you have saved the DTS Package from a SQL 2000 server and are opening it on a SQL 7 server: see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q274716&

• I could be server version issues.

If the server you are taking the packages from has a high version then destination server you will get that error.

or

I had the same problem, but different situation. I developed the packages on my client machine and when I would try to open the package on the server I get the same message. What it took to correct this problem was for me on my client machine to save the packages to the repository then go to the server and open and save them as local packages.

• I have not long finished a utility to copy DTS jobs from one server to another. It also changes the connections if appropriate to target another database or substitute drive letters.

I don't have anywhere to post the code, but I am willing to send it to anyone who could benefit from it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply