Copying DTS Packages To a Different Server

• Yes, it does. Anything that is part of the package gets moved.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• any suggestions on how to move dts packages from server a to server b where server a and b are totally disconnected from each other?

thanks!

-nicky

• No way to establish a temporary connection over a VPN? You can export to COM files, copy them to the other server that way. Or even export as VB code and run that against the new server. Other than that...you could BCP out the tables involved, BCP back in on the other server.

Andy

• What platform do you code this in? I'm doing a project for school where I have to copy info from one server to another. Also does there need to be a main routine to pass the values through the function(i.e. Destination Server)?

• Personally I find copying the entries in the sysdtspackages table a lot easier, as described at http://www.sqldts.com/?204

Steven

• Vb6.

Steven, copying the table is an option (and not a bad one), sometimes I just like to explore - never know what may turn out to be useful.

Andy

• I knocked this script up to copy either all or a set of listed dts packages from one server to another. If it already exists on the destination server it is deleted and replaced otherwise it is simply created. My convention for portability is to have a global variable set to the server on which the package is running. This script will also update the global variable as it is saved on the destination server. If the variable name can't be found it will simply continue.

Save the script contents to a file called something like copydts.vbs

Then from the command prompt run it using

cscript copydts.vbs /svr_src SRCSERVER /svr_dest DESTSERVER

for integrated security or specify the sql security username and password with the parameters in the script.

Hope this helps someone.

Option Explicit

'===============================================================================

'- Copy listed or all DTS packages from one SQL Server to another

'

'============================================================================================

Dim SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME, _

SQL_SRC_USERNAME, _

SQL_SRC_PASSWORD, _

SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME, _

SQL_DEST_USERNAME, _

SQL_DEST_PASSWORD

'Command Line Arguments

SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME = GetArgs( "svr_src", "(local)" )

SQL_SRC_USERNAME = GetArgs( "sqlu_src", "NULL" ) ' standard sql security username. NULL if integrated.

SQL_SRC_PASSWORD = GetArgs( "sqlp_src", "NULL" ) ' standard sql security password. NULL if integrated.

SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME = GetArgs( "svr_dest", "(local)" )

SQL_DEST_USERNAME = GetArgs( "sqlu_dest", "NULL" ) ' standard sql security username. NULL if integrated.

SQL_DEST_PASSWORD = GetArgs( "sqlp_dest", "NULL" ) ' standard sql security password. NULL if integrated.

' DTS Constants

Const DTSSQLStgFlag_UseTrustedConnection = 256

Const DTSSQLStgFlag_Default = 0

WScript.Echo Now & " Started scripting DTS packages from " & SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME & " to " & SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME

Dim dtsApp ' As New DTS.Application

Dim dtsPackage ' As DTS.PackageSQLServer

Dim dtsPackageDest ' As DTS.PackageSQLServer

Dim dtsPackages ' As DTS.PackageInfos

Dim dtsInfo ' As DTS.PackageInfo

Dim packagesToCopy

Set packagesToCopy = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

With packagesToCopy

' .Add "ALL", ""

.Add "IDL - Export", ""

.Add "IDL - Import", ""

.Add "IDL - Staging To Live - ALL", ""

.Add "NETWORK - Update", ""

End With

Set dtsApp = CreateObject("DTS.Application")

If SQL_SRC_USERNAME = "NULL" Then

Set dtsPackage = dtsApp.GetPackageSQLServer(SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME, "", "", DTSSQLStgFlag_UseTrustedConnection)

Else

Set dtsPackage = dtsApp.GetPackageSQLServer(SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME, SQL_SRC_USERNAME, SQL_SRC_PASSWORD, DTSSQLStgFlag_Default)

End If

Set dtsPackages = dtsPackage.EnumPackageInfos("", True, "")

For Each dtsInfo In dtsPackages

If packagesToCopy.Exists(dtsInfo.Name) Or packagesToCopy.Exists("ALL") Then

WScript.Echo Now & " Copying " & dtsInfo.Name

Set dtsPackage = CreateObject("DTS.Package")

If SQL_SRC_USERNAME = "NULL" Then

dtsPackage.LoadFromSQLServer SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME, "", "", DTSSQLStgFlag_UseTrustedConnection, "", "", "", dtsInfo.Name, Nothing

Else

dtsPackage.LoadFromSQLServer SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME, SQL_SRC_USERNAME, SQL_SRC_PASSWORD, DTSSQLStgFlag_Default, "", "", "", dtsInfo.Name, Nothing

End If

On Error Resume Next

dtsPackage.GlobalVariables("ServerName") = SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME

If Err.Number 0 Then

Err.Clear

Else

WScript.Echo Now & " Set global variable IDLServerName to " & SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME

End If

Set dtsPackageDest = CreateObject("DTS.Package")

If SQL_DEST_USERNAME = "NULL" Then

dtsPackageDest.LoadFromSQLServer SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME, "", "", DTSSQLStgFlag_UseTrustedConnection, "", "", "", dtsInfo.Name, Nothing

If Err.Number = 0 Then

WScript.Echo Now & " Deleting " & dtsInfo.Name & " from " & SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME

dtsPackageDest.RemoveFromSQLServer SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME, "", "", DTSSQLStgFlag_UseTrustedConnection, "", "", dtsInfo.Name

Else

Err.Clear

End If

dtsPackage.SaveToSQLServer SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME, "", "", DTSSQLStgFlag_UseTrustedConnection

Else

dtsPackageDest.LoadFromSQLServer SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME, SQL_DEST_USERNAME, SQL_DEST_PASSWORD, DTSSQLStgFlag_Default, "", "", "", dtsInfo.Name, Nothing

If Err.Number = 0 Then

WScript.Echo Now & " Deleting " & dtsInfo.Name & " from " & SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME

dtsPackageDest.RemoveFromSQLServer SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME, SQL_DEST_USERNAME, SQL_DEST_PASSWORD, DTSSQLStgFlag_Default, "", "", dtsInfo.Name

Else

Err.Clear

End If

WScript.Echo Now & " Saving " & dtsInfo.Name & " to " & SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME

dtsPackage.SaveToSQLServer SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME, SQL_DEST_USERNAME, SQL_DEST_PASSWORD, DTSSQLStgFlag_Default

End If

End If

On Error Goto 0

Next

WScript.Echo Now & " Finished scripting DTS packages from " & SQL_SRC_SERVERNAME & " to " & SQL_DEST_SERVERNAME

'-----------------------------------------------------

Function GetArgs( sSwitch, sDefaultValue )

'-----------------------------------------------------

' Checks the command line arguments for a given switch and returns the associated

' string, if found. If not found, the defaultValue is returned instead.

dim ArgCount, bMatch

ArgCount = 0

bMatch = 0

do while ArgCount < WScript.arguments.length

if Eval((WScript.arguments.item(ArgCount)) = ("-" + (sSwitch))) Or Eval((WScript.arguments.item(ArgCount)) = ("/" + (sSwitch))) then

bMatch = 1

Exit do

else

ArgCount = ArgCount + 1

end if

Loop

if ( bMatch = 1 ) then

GetArgs = ( WScript.arguments.item(ArgCount + 1) )

else

GetArgs = ( sDefaultValue )

end if

End Function

• Hello,
    I personally prefer the following method:
    Import Data->Select source server and msdb -> select destination server and msdb -> Use a query
    to specify the data to transfer -> SELECT * FROM sysdtspackages [where xyz] -> Type sysdtspackages as Destination object -> Run

The only cosmetic issue will be that the creation of the sysdtspackages table on the destination
    server will fail (which makes sense as it already exists). When you save to DTS, you can remove
    this extra step.

An additional method is to LoadFromSQLServer->SaveToStorageFile then
    LoadFromStorageFile->SaveToSQLServer. This can be fully automated while preserving all versions
    of a DTS package.
    This method can be used when the SQL Servers have no direct connection. (Note that several
    versions of a package and even different packages can be stored in one structured storage file.
    Use "GetSavedPackageInfos" to find out how to iterate over all packages and versions stored in one
    storage file. But make sure you save the various versions of a package in the correct order as
    the create date and save date will not be preserved.

Cheers,

Chris

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner

• I've developed a few dts packages for our customers, and the delivery mechanism I have used for the dts package is: while in the designer, goto the "Save As..." menu, change the "location" from "SQL Server" to "Structured Storage file". A filename is suggested, you specify the location for that file to be generated, then hit "OK". Then you have a *.dts file that you can email, ftp, zip up (if large), etc. You put that file onto the destination server.

To get it into the destination SQL Server, Right-click on the "Data Transformation Services" folder in Enterprise Manager and select "Open Package" then find and select the saved .dts file. It will open it up into the Designer. Before you start making any changes goto the Save As menu once more, this time choose "SQL Server" for its location and save it to the local SQL Server.

Of course after all this, like all other transfer methods, you will have to change all of the content of the DTS that has specific references to the local SQL Server that may be different.

• I used the steps as set out by http://www.sqldts.com and they worked great.

Just wondering, is there any way of amending the connections within the dts packages without having to modifiy each DTS package seperatly?

Cheers

•  

I often copy packages from our QA to Production servers and have been looking to use a way to do it that is dependable. Normaly I just save to a flat file and move the file over to prod server, re-open it, then save it to SQL Server. I had used the freeware tool "DTSBackup2000" numerous times in the past until on a couple of complex packages the layout and some info within the package "changed". Since then I have been leery about using it and have stuck with the file save method.

Have you had any experience with this tool? Are there any other tools available that perform this same function?

Thanks!!

-Mike

• I just normally restore the MSDB from the source to the destination server whenever I have to migrate to a new server. But yes, it also copies all the other stuff including jobs and maintenance plans which you may not need on the destination server.

• Thanks for showing how one could do this programatically.

An alternative approach that I find useful is here: http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?204

Cheers.

dj

• Andy,

This is cool. Good article.

Did someone try to restore MSDB as another database (I did that) , rename the syspackages table (I did not do that yet) and get data this way by DTS?

I also will be  interested if someone will make the same tracing with Save As VBscript File and code a loop that will create one or many files with code for all packages in VBscript. Then it will be easier to do Replace on the server name, share names, IPs and other changable things.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply