copy table from one server to another

• I have a table which has no primary key, so if I want to copy the data of the table from sql 2000 server to SQL2005 server how can I do that? And also after copying all the data from source to destination initially, the next copy should be only new inserts or updations. Thanks!!

• If you're talking just once - then use the "Import and Export data" wizard from SQL 2000 (DTS wizard). It's fast and clean, and will be importing it in no time flat. It also doesn't require setting up linked servers.

If you want to automate keeping the two in synch (with the update/insert process), then you really should identiy soemthing that uniquely identifies each row (i.e. a PK). Without that - you never can tell what might be getting updated with what (i.e. near-"duplicate" rows being overwritten with just one of the rows, etc...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Want to automate keeping the two in sync, there is no primary key, but there is a ID field that's unique.

• How do you want to keep it in sync? nightly, hourly? There are many solutions depending on which type of availability you are looking for.

• Linda (3/26/2008)

How do you want to keep it in sync? nightly, hourly? There are many solutions depending on which type of availability you are looking for.

Nightly is fine. Thanks for reply.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply