Copy logins and passwords from SQL7 to SQL2000

• Hi, folks!

I know that it is possilbe to script out SQL Server 7.0 logins along with their passwords (in hexadecimal). Now the question is wether I can run this script to re-create those logins and passwords on SQL2000? My concern is that the two versions may be using different encryption and therefore passwords (in hex) from SQL7.0 will not be the same in SQL2000. Any input on this?

Thank you!

Michael

• I don't think they do, but you'd have to try it.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I tried this and it worked for some of my users and not others. I discovered the problem to be that 2000 supports 7.0 encryption but some of my users were created when we were running 6.5, and that encryption is not supported.

One other thing I did when I upgraded from 7.0 to 2000 is I scripted out the users SID, so when I migrated the SID's matched in the corresponding DB's. I also did all of this on the production server than transfered all of the users and sid's to our test environment, this was so when I restored a db onto test I would not have to remap any logins. One last thing is when you move to 2000 make sure you create the db's so that they have the same dbid. This fouled me up with the users default db setting.

Hope this helps.

Tom Goltl

• Tom,

It's not that 6.5 encryption is not supported, there is just a flag that has to be set in syslogins so that SQL knows which encryption was used. I posted some notes when it happened to me:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/movinglogins.asp

Andy

• Thanks for the information. Although to late to use in my case.

Tom

• Hi

u can also transfer logins from 7.0 to 2000 by DTS ..In DTS , select the task TRANSFER LOGINS and give source and destination sql server.

U can then either transfer all logins or to a specific database ..

If selecting all, make sure u have all databases on target sql server otherwise it will select 'master' as default database

Hope it helps!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply